Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shutterfish

battery for depth finder

19 posts in this topic

I have a dinky fish finder I am thinking about putting on my kayak but I don't want to put a whole huge battery in there every time I go out in it (since I go in my local lake every day and like to get on and off the water without TOO much stuff to carry around wink.gif ) I cant remember what I have exactly, but I think it is a penguin 100 or something- bottom of the line. What kind of power sources do most of these things take?

I went to sports authority today and check ed out what I have at home- it is actually a hummingbird, their lowest model. I didn't see any spot on the back for batteries frown.gif Is there a battery pack you hook these up to? Sorry for my total lack of knowledge here...

I rigged a hummingbird on a cobra over ten years ago by putting a cobra bucket hatch up in the bow

so it could hold two 6volt lantern batteries wired together to produce 12 volts.I cut a piece of boogie board foam to hold them securely even when upside down. Find the ones with screw on caps instead of the more common springs.I beleive I atached a short wire positive to negative, then use the other two contacts to run the power (through a inline fuse)

to the fishfinder. If you spray them once in awhile with wd40 they will hold up fine until you need new ones.

Now! a bucket hatch is $50, rivets,fuse, ,batteries, your time all should be comared to just buying one of the hummingbird portables about $100. I use an lc10 costs about $225

Barrell

I went the recarge route, the lantern battery route- I ended up with a Hummingbird Pirana portable, with a suction cup transducer- there is no battery charging, and no expensive battery, and no charger to misplace- the thing was about 160$- My advice-Just go get one and be done with it.

i use a small cuda 168 sonar. i glued a tupperware inside my boat and i put a 12 volt rechargeable battery from cabela's in it. it does not bang around and the battery lasts a long time.

They do, I guess fishfinders dont draw much. I have had the terminals rust off before the power was gone.That is why my above recomendation to spray once inawhile. Boogie board foam ed will hold them from bouncing around.

Barrell

You can also try batteries that are used for the Remote control hobby. The new Li-Po battery weighs nothing (4oz)and is 11.4 volt and will last days before recharging. Regular Ni-Cads or Nickle Metals work great also.

Steve

I already had a charger, so I used 8 AA rechargables. I picked up an AA holder from radio shack and wired a connector to it so I can remove the whole thing. The holder goes in a small waterproof case inside my front hatch. The cost was less that $40 including the batteries. Half of that was the pelican case. A tupperware container would do the job just as well and only cost a few bucks.