Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westhavendave

rescue

9 posts in this topic

The day shift in my firehouse did a marine rescue today. A very intelligent gentleman rode his bicycle out to bradley rock in west haven at low tide early this a.m. During his exploring of the rock he did not notice the incoming tide. He then attempted to walk back to shore with his bike over his head in the water, needless to say he returned to the rock which is about 300yds offshore. He was spotted by a walker along the beach at 2:00 pm. Our achilles was dispatched and circled the rock for 15 minutes spotting nothing, a shore unit spoke to the original caller and the person insisted that he saw someone on the rock waving.one of our guys then decided to jump onto the rock to make sure and lo and behold they find the guy semiconscious in a small cave in the rocks. They presumed he was attempting to stay out of the wind. The guy was so hypothermic he could not even speak. The firefighter who jumped on the rock was injured when he took a header on the rocks, so they both went to Yale in the same ambulance. I know this guy was not prepared for the weather but it is good food for thought about how hard it is to be spotted on the water this time of year with the lack of boaters out there. Stay Safe Dave

It gets ya thinking Dave.Next year I will carry a air horn in my yak.For night missions one of those rechargable /waterproof Q beam lights.

It also might have helped fending off the comercial guy who tried running me over in City Island NY.

joev

I was just thinking today that I should put one of those little stobe lights on my Xmas list. One of those you can attach to a strap on your PFD. You never know.

Jim

Joey has a red flashing light that he wears at night. One evening we got an early start and as we waited for the tide to come in we went to a large flat rock until the tide flooded it. As we were getting ready to leave the rock a Harbor Patrol boat came from far away to check on us because they saw his light. Its a good idea to have items like this with you.

Westhavendave, hope your guy is OK. Good point about the lack of activity on the water now. The red light is a good idea. I gotta get a strobe before I go out. Das after your initial voyage story I figured you'd get every safety item you could get on the yak.

Chief, Thank's for the concern, he ripped the pad off of and fractured his index finger, and had a sore shoulder and back. I don't know what happened to the victim. The reason I always err on the side of caution is that the life you risk may not always be your own, winter boat calls were once rare but we have to respond more than ever lately. A lot of duck hunters get mistaken for boats in distress, You would be very surprised how much it takes to get the coast guard to respond. If they don't get a direct sos they usually will wait until requested by local authorities. Stay Safe, Dave

TextTextText[/size]

We end up out on these things because we get dispatched and are supposed to respond. I've been telling my guys ya gotta watch the life you save my be your own. They still need to be taught to look at the situation and do a quick risk analyze. Is the outcome going to be worth the risk. No more 1 for 1. We don't trade lives. I was told a long time ago. Our job is about sacrifice. That's what we do.