Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outerbeach

best saltwater kayak

6 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase a saltwater kayak. I plan on fishing the joppa flats, in plum island, mass. I want to get the best kayak I can, so i will have it for a lifetime. I am looking for some suggestions on brand name, type, length, etc. Thanks, Derek

OuterBeach;

JonS is the man you should be looking for. He is very knowledgable about kayaks, and if your nice to him, he might take you out in one biggrin.gif

------------------

Johnny

I just purchased what I believe to be the best kayak available for SW fishing. It was custom built by a fellow in Hawaii named Hunt Johnsen. I commissioned a Hunt Johnsen Designs "Horizon". It is all carbon, 12'9", has a 280# payload, surfs exceedingly well, is ultra fast, stable and beautiful. It weights 31 pounds including internally factory mounted wet cell FF transducer, battery box and all wiring and flush mounted rod holder & ss deck hardware-with GPS mount too. I launched it for the first time Sunday here in LA and it just flew! 5.3 MPH sustained (GPS readings)in grunt mode. Clearly 2 MPH faster than the tupperware yaks I have! Twice the speed, half the weight and twice the cost. Do a search on Hunt Johnsen and/ or Wave Witch, if interested.Hunt licensed one of his designs to Cobra who now roto-molds that kayak and calls it the Wave Witch. Hunt hand makes Witches, Witchletts, and Horizons. The horizon is deeper, wider, longer. Made in two halves, rigged internally, then bonded together. I'll have pictures of the construction posted on iKayakFish.com in a while.

RL

Outerbeach, I don't believe that there is a best kayak for fishing. There are to many variables involved. More info is also needed to help with a response. What is your height, weight, and inseam measurement? Also is this your first kayak? Do you have any kayaking experience? The needs of a novice are different than those of an "expert" (someone who's got more experience). RL, it sounds like he knew what he wanted, through experience, and got a superb yak for his purposes. One thing to consider is that you've got some learning to do and a more forgiving yak is better for that. IF you choose wisely it will retain most of its value so should you decide to trade up you loose very little $$$.

I've stated before that if I were only fishig the salt and not doing a lot of open surf launching that I'd be in a Cobra Tourer. Its fast and very stable.

Jenty, thanks for the compliment. I'm just a little bit farther up the learning curve than some and behind others.

Kayak-- Many to choose from, but the "sit-on-top" style is recommended for safety, storage, ideal outfitting space and overall fishability. "Sit-inside" kayaks are used for staying dry and providing more comfort, but the "sit-on-top" kayak anglers heavily outweigh them for various reasons. Opinions differ, so try before you buy. Paddle-- The basics to consider when choosing a paddle are its size, weight, durability, construction and purpose (i.e., you don't want a white water paddle for the open ocean). Note that paddles thrown in with a kayak in "package deals" are usually junk; the same goes for seats. Seat-- Spend a few extra bucks here, as your comfort is crucial when spending a good chunk of the day on the water. Get a seat that handles weather well, especially the combination of saltwater and direct sunlight.

http://ikayakfish.com/tactics.htm