Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

Home spun kayak carts.............

15 posts in this topic

Earlier in another thread the topic of learning curves and homemade cart came up. Well, as many know next Friday I will be getting my Mokai. This is a 100lb hull and at my age I purchased this gas powered craft to avoid physical exertion. Mokai presently only offers a trailer not a cart. Standard kayak carts are not made for 100lb hulls IMHO reguardless of the advertised weights.

So I was forced to create a cart that would take the weight and be simple in design. Well here it is........

front view:mokaicart1.jpg

and rear view: mokaicart2.jpg

This cart has a 1/2" steel axle which a 11/4" pvc "T" was placed through the axle's center so the open pvc would face forward. attached to the pvc T is a 1'section of 11/4" pvc which another T was attached. 2 10" bungees assure the centering of this pvc assembly.

The axle is attached with 4 bolts and nuts and a steel axle brace on both sides. Over it is an outdoor carpet step pad which is glued and stapled in place. Through the 2 "T's" are adjustable web straps which will position the cart fore and aft on the mokai.

Simple, heavy duty, air adjustable wheel barrel wheels and tires, and made from items I had around the house.

Show us your home spun carts so others may see what to try or what not to try wink.gif

Wet weight is 145lbs with the Honda engine. The engine is so easily installed and removed I see no need to leave it in the craft.....takes about a minute to do either. I saw it done 3 different times. I will only load or off load with the engine and gas tank removed.

I assume it is the match up of the engine to the impeller that they are referring to. Its a neet simple arrangement that is dificult to explain. You'll see it at the fling. It is sort of two mated flat surfaces that have friction interlocking knurls for lack of a better description. the crank of the honda power plant is directly in line with the impellers input shaft.

This is so absolutely cool...your brilliant cart design is also noted!! Jim, do you know if this is rated for flat water vs. "what size wave"?

I have never seen a class water rating for the Mokai but their video shows it on the Delaware river manipulating up and down some mild rapid sections under power and with no power other than a paddle.

The boat is very stable. You can stand and fly cast from this craft.

I have a copy of their video if you want to take a look.

[This message has been edited by Jim DE (edited 03-25-2002).]

Jim: thanks very much for the offer!! Marie, from Mokai, just e-mailed me and said she's sending a video to me. I told them that you deserve a sales commission!!

My concern is the Gardiners Bay area reaching 2-3 foot seas, not too bad...but you say they are quite stable. I've also noted your comments about new spray fins and spray skirts.

JPL-

Yeah...I know! icon15.gif Luckily, though, the exam grades haven't slipped off. Just 4 more weeks of tough stuff, then the last 4 weeks are "supposed" to be easy. The good thing about my last month is the fact that I have an exam every Friday. Which means I have off every weekend in May.

Which means FISHING every weekend in May.

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

Jim De

I saw the mokai at somerset show - would love to see it in action. Maybe if I can swing it I'll catch you guys at the susky flat fling.

Great little cart you got there.

Last year my brother and I went to the paddlesport show and we looked at the commercial carts that were on display (don't remember the name) but you could fold it up.

Anyway, my brother is an electrician and he ended up making us both carts out of 1" conduit. Wish I could post a picture for you guys but I can't. Cost about $20 in parts including the tires. It also comes apart because we drilled and pinned the fittings.

For the price, like yours, it can't be beat.