Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Yaks and Stripers

13 posts in this topic

(My 4th Yak trip in the salt)

Last night, in the dark, Dubs and I ventured forth to yak new waters. Not new waters as having never been there...but new waters as to yakkin'. We unloaded near where we suspected we'd catch some stripers with the fly rods. Unfortunately, it ended up being the second furthest spot possible from where the striped beasts ended up being subdued. After our second failed attempt to find them up north, we stayed somewhat local. They weren't where we expected them to be, so we decided to yak to an alternate area. This was tricky, it was a good mile and a half (rough guestimate)...and it would involve a fast channel that necks down and goes under a narrow bridge. I was a little cautious about the faster current and the bridge, so as we entered the channel, we'd stop as the current increased and try to back paddle to see if we could backup if necessary. Yes, it wasn't a problem to stop and even backup, we continued.

Upon arriving at our destination, we anchored at various spots, throwing flies at little weakfish (which I've grown tired of for some time now!). I did land a nice 3# fluke that I released. It ate the green rabbit strip fly the weaks have been eating well. No bass...yet.

About my 4th anchoring spot, just up current from a screaming (but smallish rip), I had taken 3 or 5 casts and left my fly in the water with about 5 feet of fly line, trying to decide what would be the next plan...when I got a solid (had to be a unicorn!) smack! Not being one to ignore what the fish are trying to tell me, I cast again, paying particular attention to that portion of the rip nearest me...and I got another good shot, which I hooked. After much adieu in the fast current, I landed a 20" striper...my first officially inside the yak. About 4 hits later, I stuck a decent one...and while trying to pull the anchor to go after it, I put the reel between my thighs to quickly toss the anchor in the yak..the fish ran and the real beat my *^#*^ like a tiny boxer gone mad!?!? Ouch!?!? This was when I confirmed my original thoughts that the anchor line needs a float so it can just be unclipped with one hand and left behind to chase fish. I fought the fish, a strong one, to the yak and now was faced with landing a 12# striper in a tak in a screaming current with a 9wt. No sweat...just being careful not to lean too far and sink the yak, I unbuttoned said unicorn and released it. I then summonded Dubs who was a channel away. He anchored to my left but it turned out the spot I was fishing was shallower to the left and dubs caught only bottom and mussels while I got 4 more hits, one more landed. It's tough when it's like that. As the tide died down, I pulled anchor to investigate the rip the fish were feeding in. It was unique and now I understood why they were there...it was effectively a severe bend in the channel forcing the baitfish to tumble and swirl helplessly....and I'll go back there next time!

So, notes made:

1. Install velcro to keep fly boxes off the floor.

2. Do same for water bottle

3. Install sheath for pliers and sharpener.

4. Install big float on anchor line to be able to unhook quickly and leave anchor floating. This is very important!

5. Install big foam fly patch to let flies dry after use and when selecting a new fly.

The many uses and advantages of the kayak as a fly fishing platform are made more apparent after each trip. I'm hoping to wrestle some monsters soon from this thing, I hope I'm ready! wink.gif

TimS

Tim,

Dumb question but, do you find yourself doing more anchoring or drifting with the yak while fishin??

Most of the times i was boating i like to drift, unless wreck fishin.

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

Walt, I like to anchor. The main reason being is I'm fishing the fly rod and I'm casting to holding water...or likely holding water. The last thing I want to do is drift right past it and only get one cast there.

In a boat, you are likely drifting over large areas with an unknown striper hangout. Even in a boat, I find I catch more fish by finding them, then anchoring up above them and picking them off one at a time! wink.gif To drift in most places causes your lure to be over unproductive water too much of the time.

Drifting till ya find 'em, then anchor up current from them and "educate" the whole school..one at a time! biggrin.gif

TimS

Tim, you probably have an idea already about the anchor, but some fisherman who anchor near rocks tie a quick release knot to a loop on the anchor main line. A marker or bouy is attached to the end of the main line. Then with a line attached to the boat (yak in your case) tie in a quick release knot to the loop on the main line. Once a fish is hooked tug the line leading to the yak and off you go. You can then come back for the anchor which is marked by the bouy.

I'm thinkin' a 12" shark float slid onto the line just before I tie the clip on. The clip is then attached to the stainless ring on the anchor system.....when I'm in, I unhook the clip with one hand and follow the fish.

It's mentally all figgered out, just gotta implement it now wink.gif

TimS

Tim,

There is a special quick release clip that tuna fishermen use when they need to get off of their anchor line in a hurry. I'm not sure exactly where you could find one, but I'd look at boating supply stores, or tackle shops that cater to offshore fishermen. The one's I've seen are a bit heavy for kayaks, but you may be able to find a smaller one. Good Luck.

------------------

John B

mako@bellatlantic.net

Tim, another thing that might be worth checking out is the quick release attatchments big wave surfers use on their surfboard leashes. They're designed to be easy to operate under stress(being held underwater or having a LARGE peeling off backing, they hold up great in the salt, and they're usually reasonably priced.

Matt

Tim

I have use the setup the John talks of and it works great, but it is a bit of over kill in size for a yak.

Now, it's been awhile but way back when there was also a set up that the tuna guys used also. Picture if you will a rope atached to the yak that resembles a clivis or Y shape. The bottom of the Y is tided to the yak. The open end of the Y has 2 open loops in it.

Naturally your rope anchor is tided off to a float of what ever. At the end it also has an open loop.

Now, All you do is have a wooden TAPERED DOWEL that slips Between the 2 loops with the loop for the anchor in between the two. Sandwiched if you will. Tension holds the mess together. When you need to release you simply pull the rope (forgot to mention that there's a rope attach to the taped dowel pin)

with the pin an your free. The woden dowel doesn't mar the yaks surface either and is QUIET when fishing. smile.gif

Hope you get the idea.

This setup does hold anchors to sportfisher boats so i know it has to work on a yak

One last thing, the doweled rope is tyed off to the yak so you don't loose it on release...

Can't beat the price of this setup either biggrin.gif

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Swfly (edited 08-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Swfly (edited 08-22-2000).]

Thanks for the input fellers! The system we're using is already terminated in a large dog leash type clip...and it's easy to open with a free hand. No need for fancy anchoring systems...and loose ropes on a yak for fly fishin' is cause for many mumbled obscenities...flies can and will catch every loose piece of rope they get near, they just do!

I'm gonna implement my shark float on the anchor rope by the clip and let ya know how it works out! Thanks again biggrin.gif

TimS

I am really enjoying this forum!!!!!

Guess as soon as the work schedule lightens "Have Yak Will Travel" will be my phrase for a Northern Jersey trip to wet a line with a few striper fanatics I know smile.gif

Just a thought Bonito/Albies on a fly ala yak. wink.gif

Jim,

The albies and bonito are here now and they are just out of range when beach fishing, that means yak food. You gotta come up and we'll do a yakin' trip. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com