Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
old_username

Help a landlocked angler select a an inflatable Kayak f

9 posts in this topic

I am looking tp purhase an inflatable kayak to take with me when we travel to warm saltwater destinations First off I will admit that that inflatables are not as good as a hard kayak, but from where I sit here in frigid Alberta, the hard kayak is just not portable enough to be practical. Travel to warmer climes from Alberta often requires two to three days of travel with numerous airline switches. One 40 -60 lb duffel bag is a lot easier to manage. Secondly I am not looking for an ideal fishing boat, rather a means of accessing flats and other areas that are just out of the reach of the shorebound angler. Thirdly, money is an issue, if it wasn't, I would be booking at an inclusive fishing lodges where I wouldn't need the kayak anyways. Fourthly, I want a kayak with 500 - 700 lb capacity so that two anglers could use it if need be but it still can be paddled by one angler. And what about the self baling option on some kayaks, is there any advaantge to that or is it a marketing ploy? Lots of questions from some one with no sea kayak experience. Can anyone help me with what to look for in a rubber kayak?

Thanks all.

Guy

Alberta, Canada

Guy, welocme to the forum. Hopefully someone will be able to help you because I can't.

I know that NRS has some inflatable yaks on their site. Take a look their www.nrsweb.com but a good inflatable isn't cheap and the cheap ones are pool toys.

Check out the Innovas. www.innovakayak.com

They are well built and cheap. For 2 people you're probably looking at the Helios 380X, solo I would check out the new Solar model.

Other options are the Grabner kayaks (the holliday II or Explorer). The Puffin kayak is a good choice for a solo recreational-super lightweight (21 lbs!!) Last but not least is the new Java Airline inflatable SOT by Feathercraft (www.feathercraft.com)

raregroove

You got to take a look at the new Hobie inflatable kayak with the Mirage drive. Absolutely amazing. Pricey but top shelf. Keep in mind what JonS said about cheap pool toys.

Steve

I Have Two Inflatables Amongst My Collection- Both Are Seylor-one Is A Single And The Other Is A Double, Both Function Well Considering Their Inherant Limitations. They Are Very Reasonably Priced-both Bought On The Big Auction Site-if You Want One Of The More Expensive Sit In Variety Of Inflatable, You Definitely Want One That Is Self Bailing. The Sevlors Are Very Stable And Work Well For Fishing.

Dave's right six years is a long time, duh! headscratch.gif

Don't ya hate when that happens.

What I don't get is I know I didn't bring that thread up with a search....just replied to what was then the third or fourth post down on the current list in this forum. Oh well.

Steve