Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigLuke

Kayak Wear?

7 posts in this topic

What do you guys wear on the yaks this time of year?

I'm most interested in the lower unit...do you wear bootfoot breathables...neopreme...booties??? Help!!

I'm about to purchase a yak and want to get a headstart on the clothing...maybe get out before the year is done.

Thanks.

------------------

Bow to the Cow!!!

Member #1666

PEACE OUT!!!

Lower unit needs to be in combo with the upper unit, paddling or dry top is not optional. I have neo stocking foot that I use, breathables would be better. So, waders, fleece under, belt over, paddling top, fleece under, usually a 2nd belt over, and then a pfd that is fit fairly tight. Get paddling gloves while yr at it, they have curved fingers so you can grasp paddling easier. Wool cap.

I think the majority choose a breathable dry top with breathable waders. The right dry top will seal your waist, wrists and neck to the point where you can be immersed briefly and come out dry. I wear my wading boots but it's not the best choice. Too wide. What you wear underneath is a function of temperature but cotton is water absorbent. The new high tech synthetics are the wat to go.

Ken's right, wading boots are not as good as rugged neo booties, mine feel like anchors. If you are able to get neo boots a size or 2 bigger try those for fit over waders. I just haven't seen them big enough yet. frown.gif

My outer setup is breathable stockingfoot waders with a Black Rock top. I have a few pairs of kayak boots from basic to very supportive. It depends upon what I'll be doing as to which ones I wear. I like the NRS Workboots because they don't have a zipper. Zippers always fail at some point for me.

Underneath I layer with modern fibers. My new favorite is Mysterioso. It is a new miracle garment and is the perfect item to wear against the skin whether under breathables or a wet suit. If need be I then wear fleece garments or other modern fibers. I've psent over half my life as an avid skier so I have a lot of this type of stuff. For fleece I reccomend going to the nearest flea market and getting it there. Pants or tops generally go for app. $10-12. My present vest was 3 for $10.

As to soxs I wear thin ski socks but I just ordered some Mysterioso socks and I'm sure that I'll be wearing them once they show up.

Another way to go, which I'm going to look into this winter, are waist high breathable waders. I'll then get a kayak top that has a skirt like the Black Rock Plus. The skirt would get tucked inside the waders and then the second outside seal would go over it. It should work extremely well. I've just got to find the waders and I hope that they're still made.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

Actually, I think more & more companies are making waist high waders. A few years ago, I only saw one or two different makes. But now I believe even Cabela (or is it BPS?) offers em with the in-house label.