Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

Anchor system.

6 posts in this topic

I know this topic has been discussed , but I couldn't find a way to access the Yak forum archives.

Anyway, Most of you know my fishing haunts.

How neccessary is an anchor?

I have a drift sock and intend to try the surf this season.

Let me hear some pros & cons on this please.

Thanks...........DASBOOT

Das,

I'm an old chunker at heart and the places I'll take you this year will probably need an anchor. JonS likes to work the water and I'm up for that too, but I think we'll need both the drift sock and anchor.

I seem to remember a prior post where a yakker would anchor up with about 50ft of line and a float at the end. A clip is used somewhere (don't remember where and will need to figure that out later) so when he needs to go for the Nantuckett Sleigh Ride, he unclips real quick, goes for the ride, and comes back to pick up his anchor by the float. Any of you guys remember the specific details or provide a suggestion/alternative?

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 02-18-2002).]

You won't need one often but when you do there isn't a substitute. Best place to get one is at West Marine. Get the 3# folding anchor. Clip with a float is the way to go. Have the float (detergent/clorox. etc. bottle) on the end and have a very short line to the yak.

Never had much success with the anchor. Got one of the treble spring type anchors and could never get it to hold on the bottom in the bayside rips. Gave up and don't even carry one now. It would clearly be useful (say to position yourself on one side or another of a sandbar when the current is moving across it), but how do you get it to set?

Salt..consider adding a foot or two of chain. That creates a lateral drag and allows most anchors, especially danforth type to get a bite. Too bad there isn't a 3 pound CQR or bruce. Got Santiago II a small "butterfly" anchor, actually a small danforth type. IT actually holds fairly well, but wouldn't get to aggressive with it. Scott