Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassacre

Abu 6500c3 spool pinion

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I appreciate the assistance, this is the first one Ive taken apart and its hard to determine whats what from the exploded diagram. Ill try to figure it out when I get home. Ill keep you informed.

Does this appear to be worn?

Also, the star just appears to rest on the bearing, it doesnt feel like it catches in the race.

There also appears to be a drag washer missing underneath the main gear? Or at least your drawing shows one and there isnt one on the reel.

Hi, The drawing I linked to _is_ missing the shim, (now and then Abu techs missed the odd part on the drawing, and proofread ditto) but you already have the spider shim or your anti-reverse one leafer would fail. Your line pawl looks worn, they are cheap, about 5.00 or less. That drawing was pretty much same as your reel, I have an email into Pure Fishing, to see if they can locate your actual drawing.

You can buy another ball bearing shoulder washer, its less than a new star. Looks like someone took your present star, and moved it over, but was unaware of the need for another shoulder washer. If memory serves another washer is about 2.00, part numbers for the line pawl and washers on drawing this post. May as well order up carbon washers as seen on Record drawings, and the latest C3's. Thanks for the parts observation note, Quan.

You can sometimes pick up nice parts reels for under 35 off the eeb, eh? Look for current model red 5000's, silver 55C3's, and 4600C's...they go less than 65's, as your spool and frame appear to be OK. Unless you feel you need another 6.

Your shot of the pinion appears to show metal missing, or is that just light bounce? Also, punt that metal clip acting as a spring on the position holder, and either buy the spring, or dump the clutch arm, and buy the position holder with the internal spring, and its mating clutch arm. Low cost on these things. If you go that parts reel route, look for a late model, and all these things should be there.

[ATTACHMENT=9366]6500C3%2089-1.pdf (55k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I think Ken covered it. Parts are cheap and you can trade out some of the older parts with the newer parts to make maintenance easier. If for some reason you can't or don't want to attempt a rebuild you can send it to me as I have all of these parts as backups and you can just make a donation to the SOL Xmas fund or Iron Mike's ride for cancer.

To me, all of the gears look fine.

If this pic is accurate your belvederes are assembled wrong and are on the wrong side of the bearing. You also appear to be missing three other washers round about the bearing according to Ken's schematic and it looks like the star would run out of threads before it makes contact with the drag system.

I could be wrong, ;)

Havent been able to reply, busy with work and school. I appreciate the help . Explain what you mean about the shoulder washer for me. 

From your pic, you don't have shoulder washers. You need to buy a couple. PN on your schematic. I only see two belleville washers on your driveshaft. and they look bad too. They need to be curved, not flat. They look like spacers from a syncro, not proper bellevilles.

If they _are_ bellevilles, gone flat, take two pairs of pliers, and rebend them to a good curve. Being old, and about a dollar each to replace, they will flatten back out soon enough. Here's a pic, and the bend. Bend yours more.

Then get your shoulder washers, Refer to your schematic, and place your bellevilles where they belong,

() or )( _Never_ ((, or )).

I appreciate the assistance, this is the first one Ive taken apart and its hard to determine whats what from the exploded diagram. Ill try to figure it out when I get home. Ill keep you informed.

Goto Alan Tani's Ambasadeur board, and find the post for Purefishing Japan I did. They have nomenclature on their drawings. SOL's rules forbid linking to web pages elsewhere. You'll find it. Or just google this exact phrase: abu nomenclature on schematic and you'll swoop right to it.

I changed the spool pinion and it was definitely stripped or something because the new one pops in and stays in. I am going to order some of the other parts you guys have suggested. Thanks for the help.

I changed the spool pinion and it was definitely stripped or something because the new one pops in and stays in. I am going to order some of the other parts you guys have suggested. Thanks for the help.

Did you buy the right one? there are 2. One older one and one newer one. Do you have the part number for the one they gave you? they both will work, but the wrong one will buzz and growl, when it attempts to mesh with the side plate idler gear.

The one I ordered was 19373, it doesn't seem to be grinding or anything.is this the right one?

Yuppers, that's "da one" There's a tooth pitch diff between that one and the newer one, which causes the noise and vibes when mis-matched.

Alright cool, I ordered the parts suggested earlier in the thread. I just need to figure out how the order the parts go in when I get them. Haha.

You'll be fine.....with the photos you took, plus the schematic, all will be well. If you change up the drag washers, and degrease parts before re-assembly, ensure you place a drop of lube at the contact point of the driveshaft and the main gear. If omitted, there's a good chance you can seize the gear to the driveshaft, via friction if into a nice fish.