Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassacre

Abu 6500c3 spool pinion

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I have a 6500c3 that my old boss gave me, the stamp on the reel foot says 01 03 03, I cant find a schematic for it and I need to know what spool pinion will fit it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 6500c3 that my old boss gave me, the stamp on the reel foot says 01 03 03, I cant find a schematic for it and I need to know what spool pinion will fit it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you snap a pic of the reel? A lot of parts are interchangeable, even among different production years. Do you know for sure that you need a new pinion gear or is it missing altogether?

Looks like a standard 6000/6500 model. I would think a 5.3 pinion and main gear would work. Also, could be the cog gear with missing teeth or worn.

It seems like its stripped out. 

Hio....Other possibilities could be the plastic idler gear or spool gear missing teeth, as Quan indicated. Another common problem with that model with the screw holding the driveshaft to the brake plate post is: The previous owner/s left parts out. Usually it's the little shim under the main gear on the post. Or the screw on top is not tight enough, allowing the driveshaft to bounce up and down too much on the post.

If you have the spider washer under the main gear, you also have the not-so-good one-leaf anti-reverse dog. You should change that out next time you do a service. Abu has a drawing showing how.

If you are missing the shim or need a new cog wheel, pinion or main gear let us know what you find please.

I definitely have the anti-reverse dog and It was slipping, I bent the tab up and now it engages much better. The spool pinion appears to slip when I apply pressure to it. I assume its not supposed to slip when the other gear on the sideplate meets up with it, right?

Does it slip with the side plate on or off. If off, put it on and try. While you are in there you may as well change out the drag washers and clean up the excess grease and any dirt that has collected.

Snap a pic of your pinion gear and handle shaft assembly.

It spins freely with the sideplate off. I put the sideplate on and get no spin on my worm gear.

I dont know if these are what youre asking for or not.

I tried to angle this one so you can see the teeth on the spool.

Ok, there is a little metal gear that goes on your spool and fits snuggly to your main gear in the first pic. It is not pictured...I need a pic of that.

The rest of the pics look fine.

Snap a pic of your left sideplate, should be a white plastic cog gear inside. If the worm gear is not moving, 2 more possibilities are a worn pawl or you need to clean or replace the worm gear.

To get to the pawl, turn your reel upside down, use a flathead screw driver to open the levelwind guide and check the pawl. Take a pic you are unsure.

It seems like a lot of work, but once you get it working, this reel will work for ever.

[ATTACHMENT=9364]SOL5500C3.pdf (53k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Hio...Just a quick interjection here.... you picture of the gear train appears to show the bellevilles and the bearing spacer in the wrong order.....This is the way::first belleville up right on top of the 'top hat" (that's that last metal drag washer with the hump) placed this way ( and then the next belleville the other way... ), then the last bearing washer with the shoulder up, to catch the inner race of the bb. The star had also better catch the inner race, or someone's changed out the star.

I got a typical drawing so's you can see I'm not blowing smoke.