Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hoplite

bridges at night

10 posts in this topic

have any of you guys paddled out to a bridge and done some night bass fishing? I was thinking of drifting some clams under loop pkwy or maybe the Big M one night and was wondering if you guys had some pointers

If there are no nooks to get into or eddys to hold you still, paddling back and forth can get annoying. I use lures and sometimes the wind and tide are so strong you get one or two cast and have to paddle back. Get a rope to tie up to the bridge if possible.This can be hazardous, so I use a "S" shaped hook attached to the kayak and have a loop at the end of the rope and put it on the "S" hook. This makes for a quick release for boat wakes or to chase fish. For larger pilings, I use a rope with floats and a loop in the rope at each end, throw it around the piling and let it float with the tide and pick it up with the paddle. Pull the rope through the loop and put the other loop on the "S" hook. No Knots to tie. When I'm done , I wrap the rope around one of the floats amd put it in a zip lock bag, so it's tangle free. It can be an ordeal trying to tie up in the wind, I lost my paddle twice. The first time I was lucky, it got wedged between the bridge and the pilings. It was a while before I noticed it was gone. The second time it drifted pretty far before I noticed it was gone, good thing I had a spare cannoe paddle and reflective tape on the paddle that floated away. Did I hear someone say paddle leash.Good Luck

Peace on U

....>< ))))))))°> ~ ~ ~ Catch & Fillet Ho-zay >)-)-)*>

If there are no nooks to get into or eddys to hold you still, paddling back and forth can get annoying. I use lures and sometimes the wind and tide are so strong you get one or two cast and have to paddle back. Get a rope to tie up to the bridge if possible.This can be hazardous, so I use a "S" shaped hook attached to the kayak and have a loop at the end of the rope and put it on the "S" hook. This makes for a quick release for boat wakes or to chase fish. For larger pilings, I use a rope with floats and a loop in the rope at each end, throw it around the piling and let it float with the tide and pick it up with the paddle. Pull the rope through the loop and put the other loop on the "S" hook. No Knots to tie. When I'm done , I wrap the rope around one of the floats amd put it in a zip lock bag, so it's tangle free. It can be an ordeal trying to tie up in the wind, I lost my paddle twice. The first time I was lucky, it got wedged between the bridge and the pilings. It was a while before I noticed it was gone. The second time it drifted pretty far before I noticed it was gone, good thing I had a spare cannoe paddle and reflective tape on the paddle that floated away. Did I hear someone say paddle leash.Good Luck

Peace on U

....>< ))))))))°> ~ ~ ~ Catch & Fillet Ho-zay >)-)-)*>

I was planning anchoring up current of the bridge and drifting some clams under it, just as if i was on my friend's boat. Current is pretty nasty as jones is right there, maybe wantagh pkwy might be better. anyways i think a 1 gallon bleach bottle filled with crete should allow me to hold bottom. Will try someitme this week and let you know my success/demise.

i find that anchoring up near a piece of nice fishy stucture like a bridge is the only way to work a spot over real good. dumping is a major concern especially in river type current. so i tied an empty milk jug to the end of my anchor line! AHA!! this way, when Im anchored up i just wrap the line around my foot or rod holder (havent graduated to those fancy clip thingy's or lanyard altho i would imagine this is what theyre made for icon15.gif ) and if i gott go, i just let go!! come back and retreive my floating anchor line later. another way is to tie off to the bridge in a similar quick release manner. makes for a real nice paddle smile.gif

If the current isn't too strong I'd tie off to the bridge. It it cranks I'd fish somewhere else.

I've said this before, kayaks aren't boats and some things are best not done from a kayak. There are many places where we can fish that nobody else can. They're the best places to fish.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

I dont remeber the last time I yak fished in daylight. Night bridge fishing is all we do down here. The fish are in the shadow line facing the current. Use SMALL jigs and crankbaits. At night they are up on top. Most bridges are better toward low tide around here. Use a s hook on wood or follow glazeheads advice for a loop on large concrete pilings. You need to get free as soon as you hook up with any decent fish.

Princeton tech led headlammp is a must and so is a lifejacket. Another flashlight that cast a beam and reflective tape on both sides of your boat are highly recomended.

Barrell

Barrell,

I don't know what kind of current you have under the bridges there but under the parkways where Hop is contemplating are pretty stiff stuff. I guess it could be done but I'd have the alarm bells ringing. It's the kind of current that can easily flip you when you're crossing it if you're not paying attention. How fast is safe if you don't mind me asking?

Hop, what Jon said is some sage advise.

There are bridges I wouldnt fish in a kayak, generaly they are close to the inlets. There are also bridges I dont tie to, prefering to get my 3 or 4 casts off before drifting out of range. But the bridges that we do hook to are usaly far from the inllets and it is perfectly safe. There are a couple of bridges where even when the tide is ripping You can paddle up to structure on the downcurrent side and just sit there as long as You want and fish without tying on. Yet if You move only a couple of feet to the left or right the current rips You away. We have so many options here in the south the problem is deciding which bridge to go to.

Barrell