Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eelball

Dumped!

6 posts in this topic

First trip off the beach yesterday.Going out I was a little shakey.Once I was out I was fine.I caught a couple sand sharks on sheddar,but that was it.On the way in everything was going smooth till this monster wavewink.gif(Knee high)Iwas surfing it in when the yak decided to Left turn klyde!Over I went and down sank my rod and reel.(BYE-BYE)I franticly dove down in a desperate salvage attempt,but came up empty.Then there was the small matter of getting back in.Not as easy as I thought it would be.I got in and was approached by several people asking if I lost my rod and I snapped at them "DID YOU SEE ME FISHING,DO YOU SEE MY ROD NOW!"I was angry at my own Stupidity.Lucky for me today is my B-day.If I knew this was an easy way to get new equiptment I would have been throwing stuff over a long time ago.biggrin.gif After that incident I went and practiced riding the surf.Then I tied a thin rope to my other rod and to the yak.Problem solved.WRONG!! Next time in the same thing happens,but this time the rope wraps around my leg and is cutting off the circulation.(I must have been a good show for the beach goers)I finally got untangled and went in with my tail between my legs ang gave up.I could probably use a little help on the best way to approach these situations.Today I'm gonna fish from the darn boat.

Well, Happy Birthday, sorry to hear about the loss.frown.gif

Barrel, you have a picture of the rod holder your describing, they sound like what I'm looking for.wink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

eel,

Isn't that fun?! (except for the rod loss part) If you don't like the scotty, like me, you can use a RAM tube. You just drill a small hole on either side of the tube, near the top, make a bungee loop with knotted ends on the inside of the tube. Just hook the loop around the reel and you're fine.

Good luck

Phil

Some suggestions from a yak fisherman that has performed many upside down approaches to the beach in surf.

1. Get one of those cordura rod leashes with brass pincers; one around the reel stem and the other to an eyelet on the yak. This should hold onto your equipment in a roll.

2. Attach a chord with a hand loop to the bow lanyard. When coming or going, hold it in your hand along with the paddle. If you go over you can retreive the boat; once on shore you can haul it up from a safe distance.

3. Completely disassemble rod and reel when going out or coming in. I stow the reel in a bin and velcro the rod to my paddle (use the paddle leash velcro). A roll in shallow surf can break the rod and fill the reel with sand.

4. Stow in a bin or lash securely to the deck your gear bag. Put it behind you. You don't want anything in the way when you finally hit the shore and have to get out before that next breaker does just that.

Some suggestions from a yak fisherman that has performed many upside down approaches to the beach in surf.

1. Get one of those cordura rod leashes with brass pincers; one around the reel stem and the other to an eyelet on the yak. This should hold onto your equipment in a roll.

2. Attach a chord with a hand loop to the bow lanyard. When coming or going, hold it in your hand along with the paddle. If you go over you can retreive the boat; once on shore you can haul it up from a safe distance.

3. Completely disassemble rod and reel when going out or coming in. I stow the reel in a bin and velcro the rod to my paddle (use the paddle leash velcro). A roll in shallow surf can break the rod and fill the reel with sand.

4. Stow in a bin or lash securely to the deck your gear bag. Put it behind you. You don't want anything in the way when you finally hit the shore and have to get out before that next breaker does just that.