Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diamondwrapper

First time this morning

9 posts in this topic

Tried out the Yak for the first time. I can't lie to you, I was a little uptight about the whole deal. I had on a 2mm farmer john, a sweatshirt,waterproof yak top, and a PFD. The clothes were very comfortable. The wind was coming out of the North pretty good and my hands got quit cold. I guess I'm a wimp. I left the pole home because I just wanted to get used to paddeling. The Swing was pretty stable with all the breeze. I was in the Smithtown Bay area and I saw a couple of guys catching bass.Because of the Yak, they didn't see me. Now I know where to start this evening.Thanks Guys for turning me on to this sport. I know I'm going to love it.

DW Ronkonkoma,NY

DW-

That's great. I was justing thinking of PMing you to see how things with the Swing were going. I haven't taken shipment yet on my Explorer, but when I do and start making some trips back to LI, look for an invitation so we can get together with other LI yakkers and put a whoopin' on some fish. wink.gif

Hope all else is well. smile.gif

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

That swing will handle pretty mush all the nasties you want to be out in. Good luck with it and good sense to go out and give a try before fishing. Pick your weather and you'll be fine. Scott

Windchill on hands can be significant. Its a good idea to carry gloves along. I actually have 2 pairs that I take. A pair of Glaciers that allow my thumb and index finger freedom and a pair of neoprene Stearns that are regular type and for when its colder. Cold hands are no fun and as we've seen lately the weather can vary quite a bit.

DW,

It is a bit un-nerving at first isn't it.

I've been out maybe 6 times so far this season and I'm feeling REAL comfortable at this point.

It just takes time.

Good luck.

Good luck with the yak. They are a lot of fun.

The advice JonS gave about the gloves is a good one. No fun with numb fingers. I'd also suggest dumping it and getting back in a couple of times. Definetely a confidence builder.

Good luck,

Dan

Went out for the second time Sunday evening. Twice in one day, am hooked or what. The air temps were up about ten degrees from the morning an the hands were OK. I did bring along a set of neopreen gloves but didn't use them. I built a box out of a milk crate to fit where the dive tank would go. It had two pole holders and room for some lures. Well, getting to the poles was OK but it was too shakey to get to the lures. I wasn't in to that turning sideways deal where you dangle your feet over the side. Maybe after a few more times. I got to check out a few drains in the marsh that I had seen but could never get to before. I just know some eels are going to die in those places. I know there is a fling coming up on the Hudson but I'm not comfortable with that yet. Maybe the next one!

John

DW,

As some of the more notable members of this board would say, "Welcome to the Dark Side."

Glad to hear your getting out, but I think your first journies should be with another yakker. You should consider the Hudson River Fling. Ask some of the other members what the water conditions, boating traffic, etc. is like. If you come along, bring some tackle, but you don't have to fish. You could paddle around with the group and get more experience. I was itching real bad on Sunday to get out too! Oh well, I was better off not going.

DW-

I'm going to the Hudson fling, and I don't have a yak (yet wink.gif ). I'm "borrowing" one for the day, but I still have never fished out of one before, so it should be a good experience. I'm glad my first few baby steps in a yak will be in the company of some many experinced yak anglers. It should be a good time. icon14.gif

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif