Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
checker

Manhasset Bay weekend

12 posts in this topic

Took the kayak out Saturday late afternoon at Leeds Pond. The wind had settled down and started trolling the T&W down the Plandome shoreline when I got my 1st hit - nice 4-5 lb blue. Birds were working sporadically around Great Neck side so paddled over to them.

Casting a 1oz Kastmaster and hooked another blue. Trolled for a few more like sized blues when wind picked up and storm blew in quickly. On my way back to beach at Leeds hooked up to another larger blue - great fight. Thank God for the boga grip and all were released. Next day Sunday went out of Manorhaven early afternoon. The T&W wasnt in the water more than 30 seconds when I caught a schoolie bass around the Plum Point shore line. Trolled the docks/rocks around Sands Point for 3 more bass 20-24". Heading back when I found myself in middle of huge bunker school. Stopped paddling and casted the tin again - hooked what felt like a nice size blue and had it almost to the yak when the rod I was trolling the T&W with in the front ram holder slammed down and the reel was burning. Had a double hook up ! A 8 lb blue had taken the T&W while I was drifting reeling in the other blue. Too much fun ! Love this kind of fishing !

They actually wont let you launch near the town dock. Have to go to Manorhaven Park.

(I had to remove your clandestine launch spot, because the spot simply cannot handle the numbers that the Internet generates. Launching there is illegal, as is parking, and if it gets popular, a ticket blitz is sure to follow).

[ 08-22-2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

If you want to launch at Manorhaven - you have to show residence in Town of North Hempstead between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The best fishing is AFTER Labor Day, however.

[ 08-22-2004, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

SSHHHH!!!!

do you realize that posting that sort of info on the interent can "blow" a spot up??? or do you just want to wait until the next time down there and you cant park cause there is too many guys or even worse, the cops are ticketing people.

please try to refrain from specific spots especially with parking in that area, if you find a spot, just keep it quiet. smile.gif

BC

[ 08-22-2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

For the record, there is no legal parking in the entire area. You might not have been ticketed last time but don't take that to mean much. The whole surrounding area is in a village with NO on street parking ANYTIME. It's posted as you cross the village line. They got their own court and it will cost you a bunch for a violation. Ask me how I know. No need for someone to get tagged based on bad info.

Steve

[ 08-22-2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

100% correct and they are REALLY enforcing that as well... Earlier this year, I was chased off the beach by two Nassau Cops, and told I woul dbe towed the next time they see my truck...

ewe... better off putting in at a public place and paddling on down...

Bc

I'll 2nd that motion - drove past that spot yesterday evening and saw a car parked there w/ a ticket on the windshield. Sorry - Manorhaven looks like the only choice.

You are acting as though these spots are a big secret. Anyone who reads the boards even infrequently knows about them. I'm looking for info on permits.

I'll remember to be as welcoming next time you ask where you can launch in my area. Really....

Checker - thanks for the info.

[ 08-22-2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

Hardly a secret. Don't get me wrong. Park there, fish there, launch there, do whatever but do so at your own risk. Physically you will have to transport your yak a fairly long ways even if you park in the nearest illegal area.

Then there's an issue that the whole wetland area is a county nature preserve and is clearly posted No Trespassing. That's a second violation you could get tagged with. There's an active osprey nest on the beach and the birds go beserk cause your in their backyard. The directly adjacent neighbors don't like folks around especially disturbing the nesting area and they got the police on their speed dial.

They have also tried to convince the DEC Police (folks in the green cars) that your presence is disturbing the nesting area and hence another violation. Enforcement like in most places runs typically hot and cold. It will be intense for a while then they lose interest.

When the county cops (folks in the white cars)actually have to get out of their car, go thru the marsh, get bit by bugs, get mud on their shoes, and find you on the beach they're not too happy.

Finally I've been told that somebody who lives in the area has been targeted by vandals from PETA because of who he works for. So the cops are around fairly often. If the PETA folks can't get their intended target what's better than a car or truck belonging to a fisherman (evil animal tormentor) with nobody else around.

Aside from that there's no problem except when somebody posts on the internet and a bunch of people show up, park illegally, litter, make noise at 1 AM etc. and the cops get lots of calls and hit the place hard. They also will at times resort to some heavy handed tactics like towing your vehicle so you don't ever think about going back.

It's just typical of what happens in a lot of places. "Access" gets publicized on the internet, people descend in bunches and ultimately access is lost. It's one reason that SOL, unlike many of the commercial boards, doesn't encourage location specific postings. If there's something discreet to be exchanged use a PM (Private Message).

Steve

thunni,

"You are acting as though these spots are a big secret. Anyone who reads the boards even infrequently knows about them. I'm looking for info on permits.

I'll remember to be as welcoming next time you ask where you can launch in my area. Really.."

#1 these spots are not secrets. but Ill tell you this, I learned about them, not from the interent, but from hard work. I used to park at the town dock and ride my bike to leeds to fish it when I didnt have a friend in the area to park. Ive walked from 16 blocks away to fish other beaches in that area. I certainly didnt learn how to fish a spot by reading the internet posting boards.

#2 its a shame that they are even mentioned on the boards, everything that SteveM said in his post is true. not only the interent, but also info from tackle shops, clubs etc. I used ot fish that beach in the late 80's and early 90's and never saw more than 1-2 other EVER there. a club finds out about it and before you know it, there are 15-20 googans down there leaving garbage, bunker bags, cigarette butts, beer bottles all over the beach. now its known as an early season spot for big bass (last 4-5 years it hasnt produced), but still people go thre and have no respect for the area.

#3-- there is no permits available for the area. Call the preserve and they'll tell you its illegal to park there.

#4- I would fully understand if you dont want to give up information about your "spots". but trust me, I would NEVER, NOT IN A MILLION YEARS, ask someone on the interent to post info on how to access a productive spot that is illegal to be on. thats just lazy and against everything that is sacred in fishing. good fishermen becmoe such from hard work, not from looking for shortcuts on the web.

so in closing, put in your time, scout the area, maybe introduce yourself to people who live in the area. ask them if they like fish, do what you have to do to gain your access... do what the rest of us have done in SEVERAL spots over the last 20 years. dont try to pry info out over the web. maybe I'd tell one or two people in person, but I certainly would NEVER post it for the world to see...

I dont need to "launch" in any other area, ive worked hard enough to find "my spots" that I dont need help...

LAter...

BC