Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kryn13

Kent Island MD launch point

9 posts in this topic

There must be tons of places to just pull off the side of the road and just drag the boat with you- I'm not too far from Kent Island (about 1.5 hrs) Do you know how and where to fish Kent Island- I do know there are some very fast tides around the marinas there- whick could be good for fishing

'fraid I don't have a lot of specific knowledge of the Kent Island area. I fished there once from a boat but doubt I'll be covering the same amount of water in the yak.

My plan is to find a decent place to put in, target both sides of the high tide and see if I can find some structure. That's about it.

There is a boat ramp with ample parking, fishing pier etc. right at the Western side of the Kent Narrow Bridge. The water here moves very fast at peak tides. Take the last exit before the bridge. Take a left on to the old highway and another left to go under the bridge.(If you miss the last exit you can take the next exit--right after the bridge and follow the road back to the right until you cross over the old drawbridge)

Looking at my chart book right now, there's a bunch of ramps on Kent Island. I use the one under the Rt. 50 bridge, west side, gives you access to the marshs and banks north of the Narrows (Chester River side) and access to the jetty and creeks and marshs south of the Narrows (Prospect Bay/ Eastern Bay side). Be careful, like JAG said, lots of current. No permit if you carry it over from the parking area under the bridge.

There a good ramp on Goodhands Creek off Dominion Rd. (Kirwan Rd I think) with access to a bunch of creeks, another ramp on Thompson Creek (just past the condos off Thompson Creek Rd., kind of behind K-Mart), and another at Crab Alley (south on Dominion Rd 'til it ends, right on Little Creek to the ramp at the end). They're county ramps, so you need a permit, but you can pick one up at Anglers or at the hardware store in Stevensville.

There's also a ramp at the Matapeake Pier if you want to fish the main bay.

I've fished from the shore at the Kent narrows before and knew that was one possibility...and I've seen the current go ripping through the narrows...and I don't really want to try paddling against that.

Anyone have any recent experience with the fishing around Kent Island now? I'm wondering if all the action is in deeper water.

Look around Bugby Bar, the mouth of the wye, the drops near St Micheals (just before you enter the harbor)....rock piles in the mouth of the Wye early in the AM. Breaking fish are pretty much everywhere....look around Tilghman Point in Ebay. Jig heay metal and plastics...good luck. If you go early enough in the morning you can tie off to the pilings in the Narrows (weekends can be hazardous to your health) and don't forget about the strucutre just south of the narrows. Big cut on the western side of the concrete wall.

Here's a copy of my post from earlier re: last weekend in the Bay.

I went out last weekend off the south side of Kent island into crab alley bay. I had a tube with me but didn't rig it up. I keep wondering if bloodworms should be used on it here...sandworms seem rather...well, the guys at the various b&t's keep looking at me like I'm from Mars.

Did have great luck trolling some bucktails and teasers I tied up. Caught a big cownose ray on a 3 oz. white and chartruese. What a rush.