Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Dry Suit vs Wet Suit

21 posts in this topic

Ok lets here who has what and why ?

I have been looking at the Kakotat dry suits for Spring and Winter padlling.

Also noticed the the new wet suits on Barrels site .Are they waterproof ?Looks like they have arm and ankle seals on them.

So lets here what ya have to say.

joev

Joev,

I know you'll get more expert opinions here but my conclusion:

Just admit now that you will eventually want all of it and start working on it a piece at a time. It's not an either a wetsuit or drysuit question. Both are appropriate in certain conditions. You want a drysuit for winter paddling but this could also be separate top and pants. You will not be comfortable wearing enough neoprene to handle winter. And don't forget something for your head in winter like a neoprene hood.

Jim

Forgot-

You know what I have, the wetsuit was fine to abt 50 deg water and with the paddling top and fleece I could get to abt 40 air. With the addition of fleece pants and rain pants over the wetsuit I could get to 30 air while water was still 50. And gloves with heavy neo booties. Once air was 20-30 and water went in 40's might have been risky to go in the drink so I stopped. I could probably get thru most of the winter with the addition of dry pants, a hood and mukluks and more layers of polyprop and fleece.

Jim

Jim I would think a Dry Suit would work for a whole range of temps.Like for 30-70 air temp.Depending on how ya layer underneath.I want the suit so no water gets in.

joev

Joev.The hell with the dry suit.What I like to do is go to a clothing drop box,Rummage through it till I find some flannel pajamas.Put the pajamas on and have a friend spray me with great stuff minimal expanding foam found at Home Depot.This is your thermal layer.You now need a water proof layer.What I like to do is use leather pants and jacket that I soak in tuna oil for at least 1 week.Put this over the thermal layer and use duct tape and construction adhesive to seal any joints from leaking.

It does not cost alot and has worked for me as well as the dry suit that I used to have.

I will post step by step pictures as soon as get my digital camera

Doug M

I posted a new topic before I spotted this one: see military suits for more info. But I'm also looking for something better than my neoprene waders cinched tight system. I've been told that you definitely want a breathable suit if you're going to buy a dry suit. Even on cold days, you get sweaty and then clammy with a non-breathable fabric. The problem is the gortex suits cost twice as much. If these military suits are the real deal, it would be nice to find a good source for them.

JoeV,

I've been researching this and talking to a couple very experienced divers at work - they have more than 50 years experience between them, diving year 'round. They both told me that in winter waters up here you definitely want the dry suit. Including the helmet to prevent cold water shock to your noggin, and the boots. And not just for diving...for survival...I specifically told them it was use in a kayak.

R'Man

I did yesterday Jon.Thanks for the reminder.

Just want to get some input before I shell out some big $.

joev

[This message has been edited by joev (edited 01-11-2002).]

I guess I missed that post. What kind of savings are we talking? NRS also has full wet suits on sale for something like $55 right now. By the way, what is "barrels sight?" Thanks.

[This message has been edited by asabatelli (edited 01-11-2002).]

Luke, I have a NRS farmer john that I like alot. www.nrsweb.com If you are ordering one I would go with one size larger than you think you need. Arnie Barrel's site is a kayaking and surfing shop owned by barrell from this board, Check out the yak fishing secrets page, it's a great read. www.rbbsurf.com Hope the links work, Dave