rigging a rent-a-yak

I'm heading down to fla in a few weeks, packing my gear of course for wading around Stuart, Jupiter etc. and I'm thinking I'd like to rent a yak this time. It'd definitely help me cover way more area and get me into alot of new places so I'm really excited. I've never fished from a kayak before. I'll be bringing fly and spin gear (no bait) The yak place says they rent Tarpon 120's. I'm sure they dont come w/ any accesories I'd like to have like rod holders/paddle holders/leashes etc. Any suggestions of what I might want to bring with me or that I might want to make sure they rent? Better to know about it now than when my gear is in the boat and I'm ready to shove off.

Thanks!

The paddle leash is easy, rod holders are another matter (but equally helpful). You may be able to rent the "fisherman versions" that have all the basic accessories. You may be able to canvas the shops ahead of time to find one with the outfitted boats. You can go over to the florida section at kayak fishing stuff web site and find out what's available. Their usually very helpful.

Depending on the amount of time you spend down there you may actually make out better by buying a kayak and reselling it before your leave (don't laugh, it actually works if you'll be down there more than a week)

Laus Deo

I think the leash is easy as well, a pice of rope will do the job. But try a milk crate for the storage and rod holder issues. This will sit behind you, and the rod can be mounted in PVC tubes that are strapped to the crate. Take a look around on other sites and you;ll see many examples of very usable milk crate rod and tackle holders. Scott

Nice! I knew I'd get some ideas by asking. I'll cut some pvc in advance to bring down and borrow a milk crate from the inlaws to zip tie them to. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks Santiago, but I'll only have it for about four days. Otherwise buying and selling would be an option.

I know of a place on the OBX that rents our fully equipped fishing Tarpons, so you may want to look into renting a fishing version. A milk crate with the PVC rod holds mounted to it makes an excellent rod holder. You can sit them straight up or angle them. Go to the link list below they have all kinds of photos of modified yaks. Some of those guys have so much stuff mounted on their yaks you wonder why they just didn't go out an buy a boat, would have cost the same.

****stuff.com

Ibn,

Scott and Steve are right. I wasn't thinking. If you have a boat with a tankwell, you should be able to mount a crate with PVC tubes. The only thing I would add is that it's very important to make sure you devise a secure tie down system so it doesn't wobble around. If you get a solid hit with a rod in the tubes the whole crate system could come out and lose your rod, etc. Skip bungees, too much flex, unless you pull it down really tight. Simplest is a 4-6 point tie down with para cord but there are plenty of other ways to do it.

Good fishing!

Laus Deo