Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

RE: Hudson Fling

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys-

Hope everyone is getting fired up for the GTG in a few days. I'd like to ask the experienced guys that are familiar with that area to help me sort out some minor details regarding baitfish patterns that would be successful.

Am I correct in assuming that the previaling baitfish in the area are "big baits" (I'm thinking of herring, eels, etc)? I ask because I need to sort through my arsenal of flies and select those that are going to be spending some time underwater on Sat. Are there any small baits in the area as well?

I'm bringing my 9# and 10# flyrods, both of which I feel confident I could (and have wink.gif ) land a good size fish with. The only other rod I have up here in Albany right now is a St. Croix baitcaster that I would be hesitant about fighting a 15# fish with, for risk of fighting the fish to exhaustion. Next trip back home, I'm bringing back a heavier duty spinner. icon14.gif

Thanks for the help.

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif

Hi JoeB, yes I'm stoked and excited to meet/see everyone and get some fishing in. Big baits is correct for the stripers Most herring going 9-15 inches. Eels easily 9-15 inches. Going to try bobber fishing an eel over the flats from shore too. See you saturday, what time are you coming down? Scott

Thanks for the info, Scott. Looks like I'll spend Friday afternoon tying up some large patterns.

I'll probably be heading out from Albany around 6am. Assuming I don't get lost (your # is already in the cell phone) I guess I should be there around 7am.

Joe

i'm bringing a couple of medium heavy spinning rods.but will probably spend a good chunk of the day throwing the 10wt.big flies huh???

guzz