Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott Shaw

Kayak Fishing

7 posts in this topic

I live in central California (read Buck Owens,country music,oil wells,etc.)The amount of kayak fishing guys around here you can count on one hand,however just over the hill is So.Calif. with many kayakfishermen (and ladies)and good oppordunity for great saltwaterfishing.The sierra's to our east have many great high country lakes(2600 to 10,000 ft. elevation)What are the techs for fishing back east? Perhaps we can get some info flowing east-west?Scott

Hey Scott, welcome to the site! biggrin.gif

What type of fishing do you do, back here in the East the quarry most sought after is Striped Bass, or as we call them unicorns because of their sometimes non-existant elusive behavior.:smile:

I just bought my yak this week and last night was the first time out in it, the fishing oportunities are endless now, I was able to fish many places last night that I was only able to look at in the past, this opens many doorways for fly fishing.

As far as the type of yakin done back East, we have lakes and rivers but most of the information that you'll see here will relate to saltwater rivers, bays and the ocean.

We also have a few members from California, mostly fishing around the San Francisco Bay area for the elusive unicorns.

Looking forward to hearing about your world out there in Central California. biggrin.gif

Oh, by the way we like country music back here to. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Welcome Scott. I lived in Reno for 8 years and fished the Sierras alot. Didn't have a yak then but did a lot of float tube fishing. I sure could have used the yak for Pyramid lake for those big cutts.

As Dubs stated above its amazing the areas which are now reachable via the yak and the fishing opportunities which are presenting themselves. While the blues were blitzing around me I was concerned that one might jum in the yak. They were boiling within inches of me as the yak didn't spook them at all.

Dubs gotta be carefull that one doesn't land in your SIT. cwm24.gif Theb you'll be yelling SIT with the H added probably preceeded with an Oh! cwm37.gif

Yak fishing is and is going to continue to be fun.

Welcome Scott, always a pleasure to have a left coast visitor wink.gif Kayaking as I see it, is an answer to those fishing areas that are just outta reach to fly casting or are popular enough that you can't fish there without having to be crowded by 20-30 people, all trying to stand right where you are. It's quiet, the yaks are light and mobile, they hold lots of stuff (fly fishermen love stuff!), and they are suprisingly fast. All kinds of new waters and new angles are openend up with these things.

I look forward to establishing some communications between the two coast with this forum and the others and am thrilled that some of you out "there" wish to do the same! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you, TimS@StripersOnline.com

TimS

I have been fishing via kayak since 1984,mostly freshwater(Trout,bass including stripes,largemouth,smallmouth,bluegill) and saltwater,mostly rockfish.The better saltwater fishing is further south.I troll,cast spoons and plugs,and use bait on occasion.I use both a conventional kayak and a sit-on top.I have another yak on order for fall delivery.California is warm enough for 4 season fishing,and the geography is deverse allowing many different types of lakes;elavation is the key ,along with

I have fished the delta on occasion.I have a longtime friend who lives in the area ,but we usually fish the deep water channel in the Port of Sacramento for killer stripers.Of late the Port is off limits,you must be a member of the rowing club(Collegiate racing shells)He has turned back to fishing the river .I only get up that way one or two times a year.( 285 miles)The delta can be awesome,but as you might know it is one big piece of water.Scott Shaw