Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Tarpon in the Ruff Stuff

5 posts in this topic

Well got out early am today.Wind was blowing 15-20 .Also bucking the tide.So I got out in front of Sandy Point where the waves were coming onto the reef.Good size stuff mostly 1-2 except for the big boat wakes then they were pushing 3 feet.The Tarpon really surfs well.Dont know if its cause of my rudder.If it is its just another reason to have one.I was also impressed with the boats ability to take the waves broad side.It was pretty dry also.When I was paddling into the waves on a quarter the waves would land in your lap other than that it was great.Fishing was ok with 14 bass 20-24 inches and 1 bluefish about the same size.

Oh ya this is the spot were the Yak Tournament is going to be .Caught fish just about on every piece of structure that I tried.Just wish there would have been some better ones mixed in.Also lots of bait.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

After using a Tarpon for 4 days up at the Cape in a variety of conditions I've become impressed too. IMHO its the best larger water kayak that I've used. It handles everything well and with some forethought accessories, etc. can be worked out. Tons of great storage too.

JonS,

I was really happy that you mentioned how the hatch will take a couple fully rigged rods. That's really going to be the ticket for surf. With thigh straps I think the boat will handle anything, with or without the rudder.

I saw the Tarpon that Doug has. Great lookig craft and very stable.He flipped his legs over the side and gave his fly rod a good workout. That thing didn't move at all.

------------------

John

Ronkonkoma

LIBBA 440

MSC 791

SOL ?

Jim, the rudder makes a huge difference, IMHO, in this yak. Ask Doug, as he had it for a while without one and then added a rudder. He couldn't believe the difference.

Mines all set up now. I just mounted the scanning fish finder and its going to be tested for the first time in a few hours over in Westchester.