Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishinFEEver

Fishing from a Tandem

6 posts in this topic

Is it feasible to fish from a tandem kayak, or is it two awkward with both people trying to fish. I'm looking to get a kayak for fishing, and didn't know if it would be possible to bring a buddy along too.

If not I was thing on geting an Ocean Kayak Drifter Angler.

Thanks for the help

Jim

check out the malibu x factor

also do a google search for words like kayak and fishing and gear as that will turn up some good articles about the feasablility of tandem kayak fishing.

meant to add that if the buddy is a kid or two, check out the x factor.

alos use the word stuff in your google search.

there a good tandem kayaks on the market, but two people casting at the saem time can be awkward.

If you plan on going solo as well, get one that also has a center position seat.

Feevr,Your main concern with a tandem is transportation. Tandems are bigger and heavier and a real pain to load on the roof if you dont have a pickup truck. Realy think about how often that second person will be with you. Be honest about it if the answer is not very often go with a single for now and pick up another single later for the second person. You should paddle a tandem and some singles to see the differnce. We will start our demos down in Atlantic city as soon as the water hits the mid 40's.

Barrell

For the most part I'm not a big fan of tandems. As barrell pointed out they're bigger and they also lack storage and are harder to outfit. You really need to assess if you really are going to have 2 people using it regularly. Usually that isn't the case and you end up with a kayak that's much to much of a compromise away from what you would rather be using.

There are situations where they can be very usefull though. Recently we were fishing the Turks and Caicos and the wide tandems allowed the person up front to stand and site fish for bonefish.

The new Hobie Outfitter is very interesting as its so stable the person up front can stand and fish while the rear person holds the kayak in current, wind or moves it along the flats. However it probably won't perform as a single and its going to be a bear to transport solo.

I've got a Heritage kayak,tandem,16ft and one of the most stabe tandems along with the Hobie Odyssey,due to the configuration of the hull. I'll sell it for 475.00. It's located in Great Barrington,Ma. If your interested i can send pictures via PM