Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharp1

More Catches-Interesting Trends in The Sport...

7 posts in this topic

redfishfla.jpg

Redfish Caught recently in Florida

sharkfla.jpg

Small Blacktip brought to Lip Grip too!

There is a growing pack of Floridian Kayak Anglers that are getting some nice fish.Lots of yaks being rigged down there this year. I hope the Gators and the man in the grey suit doesn't eat one of them this season.

A disturbing trend has started here in So Cal. There was a discussion on a local board about giving away hot bite info on the Boards. It was hotley debated. What has now happened is that there are Hot Bites going on that are no longer shared on the boards. I am getting private mail with great fishing reports and the results-the catches, are not being publically reported any longer. The open invitations to be on the beach at O'darkthirty are not there any longer. The complaints ranged from PB'ers hitting the yak bites and also kayakers from the "UP the Coast" coming down to the LaJolla bites. The Ganstas in the Boo(Malibu) don't make a peep now when the bite is on-till after the fact; if at all, or give false locals. This is a disturbing trend. I guess the sport has matured, here in California, to the point of immaturaty and greed and seperatist mindsets.

We now have three ongoing Kayak fishing Tourneys raging monthy and weekly.San Diego, Newport and Longbeach. It is getting hardcore, and the prizes are not whimpy; a $1000.00 prize is not uncommon. The entry fees are around $25.00, plus jackpot. These are not too fun, because the pressure to win is there.$$$$$ has crept in, and guess who is bankrolling the contests and giving the prizes. You guessed it-the kayak gear manufacturers, Like OK, and Cobra, Hobie and S2S and more.. Hello Yakmasters Classic and ABC's WW Sports within 5 -10 years..

So It will be interesting to see how long it will take the SOL crowd to grow the kayak fishing sport to the point that it gets a bit ugly. Perhaps the caliber of sportsman in the East is at a higher level than here in California.There must be a lot of reincarnated Pirates out herewink.gif

So we now have CA factions-Sandyeggo, Longbeach, Maliboo,Ventura/Santa Barbara and a little group growing up the Coast near Big Sur. We also had a greedy, stupid and foolish video production company publish that Kayak Thresher Fishing DVD (Insidesportsfishing). What a demeaning, ugly 60 minutes of kayak fishing footage that is. This document is a blow against the sport IMO. A disgrace. FoxSports keeps rerunning it too.$$$$

These observations are just that-and my personal twist I suppose. Love them kayaks icon14.gif Be nice.

Sharp, It is my opinion that when the word tournament pops up in any activity it seems to bring out the worst in its participants. Unfortunately, the competitive nature of human beings can't be surpressed. It changes everything and here in lies the problem.

So far that word (tournament) has fortunately eluded the kayak/fishing community here. The sport is early in it's development here and the participants are in the sharing knowledge mode. They have fishing get togethers for the sake of group sharing and fellowship among those who share the same interest. We are fortunate to be in this end of the learning curve.

If $$$$$ or chest pounding rights take hold among our kayak fisherman regionally we too will suffer the fate of the west coasters.

Another variable is the age of it's enthuesists. What I saw at the Susky Kayak Fling were anglers in there 30's-50's. Mature anglers! It seems that the younger anglers are more prone to proving themselves to their peers. In this, they lose the real enjoyment the activity should bring it's participants. It becomes work or a challenge to participate and then it loses its focus.

We can only hope kayak fishing on our coast stays an activity of sharing and pleasure! Sharp....your above comments should be taken as the words of "Christmas yet to come" from the Dickens novel "A Cristmas Carol". Take heed kayak "Scrooges"! wink.gifwink.gif

I apparently spoke too soon. If I had waited two more days, the annoucement below would have made me feel too depressed to say any thing about it. An infamous kayak site in California, one that has a bad mechandizing rep in some circles, just announced this:

" It Is CFK Tourny Time-Here's how we do it.

CKF and a slew of industry leaders are sponsoring The CKF Tournament Series 2002/2003.

We're hosting Tournaments in Malibu, San Diego (TBA soon), Orlando, Tampa, Long Island

(NY) and New Jersey starting next month in Malibu and concluding in Florida in May 2003.

We're working on including events in San Francisco, Miami/Lauderdale, Sarasotta, Texas Gulf,and The Carolinas. In a few years we hope to have a Lake Erie Tourney."

_______________________________________ __

Then this horrifying post goes on to expand upon contest rules, how much loot there is for all(Big$$$ and yaks and trips to Baja as prizes). It is getting nastier;much quicker than I dreamed of the other day.

The really sad part is the turf war thing. This bearded, biker look-alike is going to run several contests right there in the land of SOL and right under the noses of JonS and barrell. The nerve!!

So before you SOL'ers throw your very own first contest together (JoeV look out!!), some outsider money comes sweeping into town and makes off with your glory, the big fish, your single babes and who knows what else.

The redeeming part of this new proclaimation by CA Greed, Inc., is the fact that it is a pipe dream at best-IMO. This same " kayak fishing industry entity" has a "Photo of the Month" contest that they can not run properly, and can't even get the photos onto their pages to see at all. So I don't think you fellows really have too much to worry about-yet! Yesterday, there was a post by a fellow whining about not getting his order of gear on that site too; so the contest threat is likely all smoke. Could they actually organize a country-wide kayak fishing contest circuit? Not likely me thinks.

So folks, I told you so...at least I can say that much with certainty. There is a huge untapped market in kayak fishing, and someone is going to tap it....

S1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 06-22-2002).]

Sounds scary S1. I have never been a tourney angler. To me it takes away from the very things that make me enjoy and want to go fishing. I also feel it puts the fish dead last. (more DEAD than anything else.) No tourney's fer me. thumbdownleft.gif

Doug, I totally agree! Unfortunately, Back in the early 70's (when I was young and dumb) I was a freshwater "cowboy" doing the B.A.S.S. thing for a couple of years. Run and gun for glory! NOT!

Tournaments start with good intentions but they turn very ugly in a very short time. The fish (and worse yet the fishery) always finish last. To me they can leave the chest pounding to the boxers. Fishing should be for the soul.

[This message has been edited by Jim DE (edited 06-23-2002).]

I think we have some of the information evolution happen here. Not specifically ont he yak boardbut on thesite in general.; Guys dontpost specific spots anymore. Any I have no problem with that. Nothing is owrsethan being on fish for weeks with only a few guys. Then you read it here and there are 50 guys there......

Its sad that hawg red was killed above, that fish wouldbe 25 years old frown.gif. But if your interested in them big reds, they are but a short drive south smile.gif I am getin my yak with those brutes in mind smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com