Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ishmael

Best Flies for Yak Trolling?

5 posts in this topic

I know nothing about flyfishing or patterns, but would like to try trolling flies behind the yak, in an estuary area. Who can tell me the basics about which patterns/colors to use? Any help is appreciated.

Ish

Since there's an abundant of herring and white perch... you can't go wrong with a big 5" light blue back deceiver with lots of chenille. Also, you might want to use a sinking -or- intermediate line too. wink.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

You can't go wrong with Deceiver, Clouser and Jiggy Patterns. I like Slab flies, snake flies and silicone mullet used on an intermediate or Type II or III sinking line depending on the depth.wink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

It says you are from Saco Maine so what bait is in your area at the time you want to troll? Last night on the Weather Ch. it said you area was getting some snow so I don't think you mean now. First check out the local bait situation....what is in and at what time. Then we'll be able to help. I would make sure I have the basics covered. Blue/white, brown/white all in large patterns. The sinking line suggestion was right on.