Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kirkman

Kayak Rigging Site

11 posts in this topic

Yesterday afternoon I threw up a quick kayak rigging site with some ideas you may be able to use on your own fishing kayak. I'll add more photos (and hopefully better ones!) as soon as I get out on the water to take a few more. I'll also be adding some photos of various easy to make kayak carriers that we've come up with.

Until then -

home.earthlink.net/~fishingkayaks/

Hope it may help someone.

Tom Kirkman

We've got three different carts we made and use, each for a different purpose. That one you saw there is two 20 inch wheels fasten to axles protruding from supports made from angle iron fastened to a 2x4. Bungee cords wrap around the cowl, front and back, of the kayak. I doubt the cart weighs more than maybe, 5 or 6 pounds, but you can put all your gear in the kayak and get the load on the cart and with a bike ride as many miles as you want. I'll try to get some more photos up in the next few weeks. We've got a ton more stuff we've come up with for fishing kayaks.

The cargo net used to create underdeck "hammock" looks very useful to me. Where do you find the proper netting? The one pictured on the rigging site looked to have a finished border. How is it attached to the hull?

I recall mention of a cargo net that could be retracted with a line. Anyone familiar with that one?

It's a cargo net for a truck or car. You can also find them at bicycle shops. I had put some hasps and a bungee up on the top stern deck so the four corners of the bungee stick below deck and tie around the four corners of the cargo net.

The cargo net, or hammock, is great either under the stern or foredeck. You can shove clothes, snacks, etc., under there and it won't get rained on, water that sloshes into the bilge won't wet anything in there and yet you can just reach behind or in between your knees and retrieve anything you have there.

The one thing I found that you don't want, is to have anything in the bottom of your yak. Any clutter you have there is going to get wet, or tangled, or lost. So you keep it up high, under the deck where it stays organized and dry.

I wouldn't think of having a sit-inside yak that didn't have at least one hammock under one of the decks.