Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

A plea to all

24 posts in this topic

This has been played out many times on this site but I have to say I don't feel it's wise anymore to give out exact spots to fish. Maybe they can be sent by PM's so we don't have another fiasco like Union/Pebble Beach. For us waders it used to be a great spot, never crowded and clean. When it was put in the Asbury Press and then all over SOL it ruined it for us. Now it's to the point where rsidents may have all the parking shut down. For a yakker it's no problem because you can launch from a distance and paddle to and fro, but it's a different story if your hopes rest on wading. Just my opinion, hope you take it into consideration. Maybe my bud SaltyH2Ofly can help me out here.

Maybe my bud SaltyH2Ofly can help me out here.

As both a wading and kayak fisherman I understand there are issues with exact locations. No one wants to find 20 people in their spot when they head out to a fishing spot. We live in the information age so there will be some information we don't need to share. A simple e-mail to a friend could be the answer here.

Am I missing something?

I've yet to read of any EXACT locations posted by any of these kayak fishermen.

Basic locations yes!

But specific spots I just have not read here.

Please note: I agree 1000% with you about ruining good spots by posting them on the internet etc...............and the private PM's and e mail is exactly the way to go amongst TRUSTED friends.

But to say " I fished Hempstead Harbor and caught a bunch" is to me not giving away to much info.

Am I off base on this?

Wouldn't be the first time frown.gif .............

.............and as stated I am with you folks on keeping a lid on specifics icon14.gif

No ipspest you are not missing anything when you say "Hemstead Harbor". If you said fish Hemstead Harbor off Bar Beach 200 yards south and line up off the house on the left and fish the last hour of the out going facing north smile.gif ...that would be exact. I think what TJ is saying since there is limited access to wading in this area as it is now and the only spot to park is already crowded at times. I think a general fishing report like.."taking bass at the Hemstead Harbor" is general enough and gives eveyone a chance to find the fish on their own if they want to go.

ipspest- I didn't want to mention another site so I put it on this forum because I see members from the other site being pretty specific about locations. That's why I said it was debated on this site and is mostly understood here.

There are exceptions as to some areas. One could say they fished Raritan Bay for example. Well that's vague. But when they mention a specific point, down from So & So Creek, then it isn't hard to figure how much info was given making it easy to go to that spot.

Hope this better explains my 1st post.

Wow ! I just read such a positive reply on that other kayak site that I was floored. I think my post was received with great understanding to the shore fly guys and they also realized that big boaters read these boards and on one occassion ruined a spot for the yakers. So they are going to be stealthy about their posting. Thanks to those guys !

they also realized that big boaters read these boards and on one occassion ruined a spot for the yakers. !

Thanks never thought about the boater lurkers. wink.gif ..

We were acutally having these discusions for a while and your thread prompted action. Its in all our best interests as the internet is too good a communication mechanism if too much info is provided.

One thing that bothers me is too many people aren't willing to put in the effort to find and learn. I love the sense of discovery. Its the old rule that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish.

For Example, Joev catches a lot of big fish from the kayak. If he mentions that he's going fishing he's got 20 guys who want to tag along. I know Tim has the same problem and many others. These guys have put in time and effort and their time isn't any less important or valuable to them as it is to anyone else. So if a person is merely looking for a freebie why should one share. Also without sufficient effort invested the value isn't recognized. So the person who didn't invest anything often shares with many and ruins the spot. Because of what I do I have people who ask me all the time to join me fishing. There was a time I could but its ridiculous now. I can't even begin to. If one becomes an asset to the sport and others then you have something to share. When I go other places I really enjoy learning new places but I respect what I've been shown and I don't kiss and tell. I can do the same for them on my home turf too. Mutually beneficial.

I have a major problem with folks who will tag along and gather hard earned info without doing any of their own homework.Getting by on the coat tails of others...........

Granted............there are those starting off who are trying to learn the ins and outs(equipment,techniques etc)and it is rather overwhelming when you first start out with all the stuff.

99% of what I do is by myself................. lone wolf at heart heart.gif ..............and very few ever get close enough to know me well enough to have me tell them much.

Not that I have any great secret spots to share frown.gif

Wish I did.

Maybe I do? icon14.gif

Loose lips sink Sit on Tops eek.gif

I'm doing my homework all the time...........learning and gleaming tidbits of info from wherever I can.

The kayak folks have a common thread running thru them and so far it seems everyone is very cool and willing to help one another.

It is.....................refreshing and I wish I myself could get out with some of you.

Work,family and all that makes my fishing eratic and "when I can"/"where I can"

I'm just off on a rambling mess of words here I think biggrin.gif

well.................its Friday and the beverages are calling..............bye cwm13.gif