Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnmusicn

Kayak for Chesapeake fishing -

5 posts in this topic

Was wondering what might be a good kayak for fishing the Chesapeake Bay, and if I could get away with using what I've currently got. It's a Prijon sit-inside Yukon model, 14'5" in length and the cockpit is reasonably small so I wouldn't be taking on a lot of water. Also has a rudder. I plan on getting a full skirt in the Spring. The fishing areas I have in mind are on points but not too far offshore at all, maybe a few hundred yards. I've found some great shoals and rockpiles that hold active stripers, even in the middle of the day. The bigger boats stay further out because of the shallower water, and these spots are like fish magnets. My concern with the sit-inside is that my rolling and bracing skills are practically non-existant at this point, so it might be a little hairy depending on the weather conditions. I know a SOT would be a better choice overall but wonder if I could get away with what I've got now on calmer days. Of course on the Chesapeake, things can turn rough pretty fast. Any advice? Thanks much -

How shallow is shallow where you intend to fish? Are you going to use the kayak for access and then wade or primarily fish from the kayak? It should be OK but if in doubt certainly buddy up with someone when you fish.

Welcome to the forum.

I fish the flats area during the C/R season with Porter. I have a 17' Necky Looksha Sit in. Porter fishes out of a Necky Dolphin SOT.

We usually don't run into too much trouble, maybe some wind and fog. I just recently started taking lessons on rolling, mainly due to a mishap in the ocean last fall. Where we fish if you were to get in trouble, you are usually in waist deep water at most. If your interested in hooking up with us this spring let us know, we would be glad to have the extra company.

Thanks for the replies. I've always been in a boat when fishing the spots I mentioned, and I'd probably mostly be fishing from the kayak. The depth is usually anywhere from 2 1/2 to 5 or 6 ft., and then drops off a little further out to 10 ft., and deeper as you keep going. Probably why its such a super spot. I probably won't be doing much wading, but that is an option. Maybe I'll hook up with you more experienced guys when it gets warmer and the fish are calling. Thanks again -

Definately hook up with Mullet and Porter. Kayak fishing is better with buddies. Not only is it safer but its easier to find fish. Paddling distances is better with conversation and then the trolled lure gets hit and is a surprise.