Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Fishing/exercize Friday

4 posts in this topic

Birds were working and I got tired of wating/hoping frown.gif they would hit the beach. Strong NW wind. Since I hadn't planned on yak fishing it took a while to setup. By the time I got to the water the birds which had been out front for over and hour had disappeared. confused.gif I figured that I'd test my stuff under fairly cold and tuff conditions. Surf wasn't much so off I went. So I launched and headed NE towards the birds. Decent swell with a short chop and every few waves came over the bow. Could be dangerous if a big one hit broadside. Great exercise. Unfortunately the birds kept moving away mad.gif and with the wind I wasn't gaining enough. There were some birds due south so I headed for them. By the time I got half way they dispersed. Decided to head in since it was getting late and I had worn my gloves with the openings for the thumb and forefinger. Learned that I need solid gloves for this time of year. Hands were wet but warm however the sun was getting low. Otherwise I was warm and dry. The breathable stockingfoots and top works great. 3/4 of the way in some heavy action popped up north so I paddled the 1/2 mile or so and arrived the same time a boat did. Just as I cast the birds went north mad.gif . Neither I or the boat got anything. Decided to head in. As I got close the surf had grown considerably. I probably wouldn't have launched in it if I were starting out. I tried to judge the swell and sets and paddled in fast. A large wave came out of know where eek! and I surfed the break in. It was an exhilirating ride. As always I'm greeted by several people whenever I kayak fish. Everyone is fascinated and many people are interested in yak fishing. Its fun. I get to meet new people andshare my experiences and what I've learned. After chatting a while the birds got serious in 2 groups out front but it was much too late in the day to go out and try again. I decided to pack up the yak and hopefully the fish would hit the beach. mad.gif They didn't.

It was still a good experience. cool.gif I am confident in my craft and setup and know that I can fish in cold weather and some serious conditions. Now if the fish will cooperate.

Better luck next time Jon. frown.gif

I'm sure you'll hit em good one of these times. Me, I haven't had the yak out in a loooong time, I've been dying to do it buy haven't had the chance lately. I'm sure the yak will get a good work out this spring. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Walt - it will be my pleasure. Get a hold of me before you drill any holes. I'll share what I've learned and my opinion on what's necessary and what isn't.

Dubs - It isn't a good time of year for a Sit In kayak. You wouldn't survive.