Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

WS Tarpon Maiden Voyage

7 posts in this topic

I set one up and got it on the water yesterday. The kayak that I've used the most in this class is the Cobra Tourer. The Tarpon is definately faster and handles equally as well. There was a good breeze on the lake and I appreciated the rudder which was very easy to use and put up and down. This was my first time with a rudder and I liked having it. It was a big help in drifting as I hadn't yet set up a pulley system for a drift sock. That will be today. the rear hatch is easy to access while on the water sitting sideways and its monsterous. I'm very used to the copious storage of center hatches on Cobras for changing lures, etc. I came up with an excellent solution for the Tarpon and I'll post pics later. I used a Plano 1412 and

1412.jpg

put it on the post that runs between the legs. Works great and today I'll set up a bungee and clip system to hold it in place. I was able to put tools, 3 lure boxes, flouro spools, etc. there. I mounted a flush rod holder in the spot designed for it behind the seat. I need to set up something in front as I'm not sure how far I dragged my first little largemouth. Loading wasn't bad considering that this kayak isn't any lightweight. Its 16' and rated at 60 plus pounds. The rudder adds a few. Lo0ading on my Pathfinder was easy however. After wrestling with a FnD for a some time I'm prepared for yaks like this. Its long length makes it easy to load.

Surprisingly the seat which comes with it and is hard plastic was fine for over 2 hours. By 2.5 hours, without having gotten out of the kayak it was starting to fatigue me, and by 3 hours I needed out. I never sit this long without getting out. The first thing I did when I got home was mount eyelets so I could use an aftermarket seat and today I'll be testing them. I also added a fly rod holder and a forward flush mount is joing in today also.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-16-2002).]

I forgot to finnish my report. I see why this kayak has been popular. Its fast and stable and makes a good fishing platform for the person who needs a yak for open waters where they're going to cover some ground. Definately a go for places like the Susky Flats, Raritan Bay and LI Sound. It would make a very good flats yak.

Definately not for tight fishing.

Jon

Thanks for the great post. I'm a yak newbie and selected the WS Tarpon based on all the great reports and am very pleased with the choice. Looking forward to seeing how you rig the tackle box - I was wondering about something along those lines too.

JonS So what do you like better the Tarpon or Tourer?

Thats good to hear Sharp1 .I need another yak.

I had my 9 year old son out paddling my Pungo.Had the wife out paddling the Tarpon.She liked it very much.So I am gonna need another.

Joev

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

I like them both and that's a tough one. I need to paddle a Tourer with a rudder to fairly compare but here's one days observations.

The Tourer, like all Cobras, is so freindly to mounting accessories and bringing stuff along. Nothing beats flat surfaces for mounting things. The Tarpon takes a lot more planning.

Here are, IMHO, the pluses and negatives of each kayak.

Tourer: Pluses - Accessorizing, comfort, center hatch and lighter weight.

Negs - More money.

Tarpon: Pluses - speed and the rear hatch is awesome for storing rods, etc. Easy to access while on the water. Costs less and easy to get.

Negative: Considerably heavier, not as comfortable seating. Lack of easy access storage for lures, etc. (the 1412 Plano solves this.

I didn't get out yesterday but I did mount a flush rod holder on the left side forward of my paddle stroke. I'll post pics after I trim it and play on the water. Looking forward to paddling with a seat.