Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfacetension

ly fishing rig for a yak??

13 posts in this topic

Any fly fisherpeople out here?? Can someone tell me what line I should be useing on a 10/11 wt St croix Imperial rod ? I want to troll some flies for stripers and weakfish. I have a few reels just need to know what line , I don't know jack about this so speak in beginner terms

Thanks

I have a Courtland 444SL XRL intermediate on one reel and a Airflo multi tip on another. I use the Airflo the most, w/ the fast sink head. A heavy sink tip is easier to troll w/ IMO. A fast sink head or line will outfish an intermediate in most cases. I use the Airflo system in 7wt, 8wt and the 10wt. I like the way in handles and lets me change for the circumstances easier in the kayak.

I use the Imperial and an Ultra legend

Like everything in fly fishing, it depends. Usually, I use an intermediate line. I like the clear lines; I think Cortland makes one? I frequently troll surface flies on my intermediate and have had great success, especially when peanut bunker are around. I guess I mostly fish the top part of the water column, just because I prefer catching fish on top, and find, they will often hit. For going deep, I use a sinking tip and a clouser with lead eyes, or some other fly with a little weight added on. If you had to buy one line, get an intermediate. If your casting is pretty solid, get a shooting head system and get an intermediate, fast sink and ultra fast sink head. Orvis makes a pretty nice package for around $100, I think. Otherwise, get a flat running line; I think it's like a 2-3wt flat taper floating line, and then buy the shooters separately, at something like $20-25 a pop. You really don't need a floating line for the salt, I find. Intermediates and even sinkers will work well with poppers and surface flies. For trolling, I recommend tucking the rod under your thigh, and resting it on a towel. You'll feel the more subtle takes (stripers often just tap at it, I find).

The Airflo Int. is an excellent line. Its my favorite fly line. If you're just trolling from the yak a int. should work nicely. As to a 10 or 11 it depends. Since you're not going to be casting much either should do. Either that of a system. The Somerset show is next week. Its a great place to purchase a line and learn alot. Lots of great seminars. I'll be attending. Go to http://*******.com/

FisherTim quote:

Airflo multi tip on another. I use the Airflo the most, w/ the fast sink head. A heavy sink tip is easier to troll w/ IMO. A fast sink head or line will outfish an intermediate in most cases.

I agree that a fast sinking line will outfish an intermediate line while fishing from a kayak but not always. But I wouldn't use the Airflo Multi-Tip line cause the running line is a floater. Buy either shooting heads or full flylines. Airflo's fast sink head sinks like a rock. Its a great line to while fishing from the yak especially trolling. It'll be a very good line to use for the spring so you could get the fly down deep. Also its a good line to use in the fall. Even if fish are crashing the surface most people tend to fish the surface. But what most don't know is the bigger fish of the school will always stay deep and will usually pick up the scraps that fall from the surface cause there not as aggressive as there smaller counterparts. Thats where a fast sinking line will come in handy. For the summer you should use an intermediate and a floater. Shooting heads are nice to use cause its easy to change from fast sink to intermediate line while sitting in the yak. it usually takes between 2-4mins to change.

As for what weight line for weight rod.

Airflo Fast sinking head use same weight as rod.

Intermediate you can go 1-2 weights up.

You should go to the Somerset Show and get a few lines to try out there at the casting pond. Then when you have all the lines you want to try out. Go to the St Croix booth and get the rod you have and then cast each line 1 by 1 till you find which lines you like the most.

Agree w/ Flyrodder on the Somerset show. Try before you buy.

the Airflo works for me. I don't like a braided running line and have done well w/ it as is. Only thing I do change is the frequent use of a shooting head made up of 30 ft. of Courtland LC-13. Never tried throwing it w/ the Imperial, so I can't say how it would work. Probably have to cut it down until you get it to a length that works for you. The LC-13 does get it down deep.

Go to the show and check things out!

Surface,

Check out "www.cortlandline.com".

Go to the bottom of the page and get into the Technical section.

It gives the standards for line wt/rod wt combos.

See ya at Somerset!

I have a bunch of LC-13 heads ala Ken Abrames style that I made from 2-12'. they work great. In early part of year an int. is a great choice as the weaks and blues are very shallow in only 2-5' of water. Trolling a long line should be killer. I'm gonna hit the show Friday and Saturday. We can hook up.

surfacetension quote:

I don't know if I want to cast in front of a crowd .

Do yourself a favor. Go there and try out as many lines as possible. Believe me when I tell you nobody's going to be making fun of you. Theres going to be lots of people there that will be trying out fly rods for the first time in there life. And a lot of other people like myself trying out a bunch of new lines. There won't be anyone getting pissed off or laughing at you.

DASBOOT quote:

Go to the bottom of the page and get into the Technical section.

It gives the standards for line wt/rod wt combos.

You really shouldn't go by that chart. You should go by what line feels right on the rod your using and how it feels casting it. What might feel right for me doesn't necessarily mean it will feel right for you.