Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCVER

Question About Footwear

11 posts in this topic

I plan to bring my Scupper down from upstate this week. I like Jon's idea about breathable waders, so I bought the Orvis Highbacks on sale last week, but I need to know, are wading shoes allright, or flats booties, or divers type booties? Any help from someone experienced would be appreciated, thanx in advance.

DCVR,

I bought a pair of neoprene zip up boots from NRS.

They are very comfortable, have a heavy rubber sole and are warm as can be.

I too have the Orvis waders.

I wear a size 9.5 shoe so I bought size 10 boots.

The stocking feet fit inside very comfortably.

I also bought the NRS Rodeo booties but found them uncomfortable walking over rocks or structure.

NRS has a website.

DASBOOT

I have a few questions. Why would you want to buy the stocking foot waders to begin with? Wouldn't it be better to buy the Orvis Hiking Bootfoot waders or any of there breathable bootfoot waders? Whats the pro's and con's between stocking foot or bootfoot waders?

Flyrodder - We'll let DASBOOT share his experience with the bootfoot waders or you can go back in the archives and check it out. I'll just say that bootfoots aren't a good idea.

DCVR - welcome back. Flats or kayak booties are a better choice than wading shoes but use what you have. The wading shoes are heavy and in a dunking could be a liability.

FLYRODDER - DAS did the same thing in stockingfoots and they didn't fill. A major difference is that the ankle is closed off and when he went in with the suggested waders he also had a proper top. If you seal off the top of the waders bootfoots should work but I still don't reccomend them. Another item to consider is that the bootfoots might not fit in the kayak footholds.

Wading shoes may not fit in the footweels of the yak. Wetsuit boots or quality water shoes (e.g. HI-TECH)Just make sure they have velcro or some other locking system so they stay on in the mud. Zipper wetsuits boots dont last as long as slip ons in the salt. The zipper is always the first thing to break. Oneil makes the best boots. N.R.S. are low quality.

Barrell

Good point Barrell. I have zipper boots but I never use the zipper. Definately get booties without zippers if you are purchasing your booties. If you already have zippered ones leave the zipper up and don't use it. It will fail eventually.

FLYRODDER,

There were a number of elemnts that caused my situation.

Wading belt not tight or high enough.

Improper top to keep water out.

Absolutely no experience!!!!!biggrin.gif

I bought the stocking feet and the NRS Black Rock Jacket which has neoprene at the wrists, neck and waist.

The next time out I dumped myself several times to practice remounting the yak and I was as dry as I could be.

Water in the legs will bleed out of the stocking foot as opposed to holding fast and weighing you down w/ the boot feet.

It does sound strange even thinking about waders in a yak, but it works!

DASBOOT

JonS and DASBOOT thanks for your input. DASBOOT I know what it feels like having waders fill with water a few years back when I slipped off some rocks. Not a pleasent experience. Ever since then I now tighten my wader belt and I also bought a Grunden top with neoprene wrist cuffs. So now when I fall in the water I float like a balloon.