Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJohn

Rod Holders?

6 posts in this topic

Anther question for the experienced. What are the advantages to the tow basic types of rod holders, the Scotty type and the tube type. Which do you prefer and why? Your opinions and experience will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

It really comes down to personal preference unless you're a fly fisherman. Scotty is the only company that has a fly rod specific holder. Your kayak also has something to do with it also. Some designs work better on some yaks. At present I only stock the Scotty's. My reason is that they're inexpensive, work well and accomidate fly rods. They also work extremely well with Cobras which are the kayaks I sell. The RAMs are really neat but pricey. Lots of people use Titelocks and like them alot.

Part of what I really like about flings/get togethers is seeing how others rig their yaks. What yak are you rigging?

I'm a fan of flush mounts. They're a bit harder to install initially but they generally weigh less and they keep the decks nice and clean. I have two flush mount holders on my yak and the only thing protruding from my deck is the fish finder.

Chris

JonS,

I took Barrell up on his "at cost" offer and bought a Necky Santa Cruz. Haven't had much time to try it but so far so good. I have spent enough time just paddling to know that I will want something to put the rod in while paddlling and to be able to troll. I have visited some kayak fishig sites and seen some of the set-ups others have. Right now I plan on the minimalist approach, one rod per trip either spinnin or fly, spinning at first I think, and a few plugs or a box of flys. I like the look of the tube style holders on Mullet's yak but also like the idea of a flyrod holder available only from Scotty. Both companies have flush mount brackets that only stick up off the deck a 1/4" or so. I don't know, but it seems reasonable to expect that the Scotty flush mount works with both the flyrod and regular holder. Lock-tite has a very light and simple craddle type of mount. Oh the choices! But that is part of the fun. Your input is appreciated. smile.gif

Porter,

Flush mount might be an answer, they worked on my power boat pretty well. I think the others generally have flush mountings available.

Thanks for you reply. smile.gif

John

Not sure I was being clear. When I say "flush mount" I mean this type, only PVC instead of stainless. The "flush" brackets are nice for the scotty's etc., but you still have the rod holder protruding while fishing, which provides another place for lines to snag.

Chris

John - yes both types of Scotties work in the flush mounts. As I mentioned before the Scotty is an excellent secure system to hold a fly rod. No flush mount like Porter uses will work on fly rods. I've never had a line get caught on a rod holder. Flushes are nice but I only had them in my first yak. Viva la differnce.