Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimW

New kayak/New kayaker

6 posts in this topic

I want to outfit a 17 ft, 23.5 inch sit-in wood strip kayak for fishing. Any thoughts or ideas welcomed whether equipment or techniques. Fall is here, although I'm not sure where the fish are, and despite having a lot of kayaking to learn, I'm not going out without a rod. I still get excited fishing and I can't just throw the paddle in the old canoe anymore, can I? thanks

Jim

Jim - outfitting a kayak is a personal thing. I'm familiar with accessories that work well with SOTs, especially Cobras, since I've set up a bunch. I do have a wide array of accessories, but not seeing or knowing your yak it would be difficult for me to give advice.

There are a few items that make a kayak more fishable. Certainly rod holders, I also like an attached stainless steel plier and a lip gripping device. I have the Berkley (poor man's boga - besides you can't weigh a fish in a kayak so why pay an extra $70-$100 for a scale) Lip Gripper on a telephone type paddle leash. Also some type of paddle storage for when you're fishing.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-03-2001).]

Thanks JonS. I'm sure there's still a lot you can tell me about. What are you using for tackle storage, same surf plug bags on the deck? FWIW, there is a couple pictures in the thread CT Yakkers by JoeV below. I don't mind putting flush plates on for holders but behind the cockpit seems awkward so probably live with one on the fwd deck, far enough up to not be in the way paddling. What do you use for a paddle park?

Where do you put the stuff on leashes when you just want to put it down? Where do you attach the leashes, a ss u bolt or something?

Jim - with a SOT there's tons of places to put things. Both my pliers and gripper are on leashes and attached to eyelets and I keep them in the tank well behind me. I put the griper on a telephone cord type paddle leash. Often the plier is sitting right along my seat. I store lures in the hull. Cobras have a 10" round access hatch between the legs. I run a closeline with clips inside the hull and use Woodstream waterproof lure boxes. I'll also put items in a mesh bag and attach it to a eyelet in the tank well. I don't believe that any of these would work in your yak other than the pliers and boga/gripper.