Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
C.Salp

DE & MD coastal yakfishing opportunities...

3 posts in this topic

With the fall run well underway now, what areas along the Delaware and Maryland coasts will present viable yakfishing opportunities?

Is O.C. Inlet and surrounding areas just outside the surf line a possibility?

How about Indian River Inlet (or adjacent areas just outside the surf line)?

TIA for any insights,

Chris

Chris, You don't want to navagate a yak through IRI....very dangerous hunk of water. Beach launching from either side is safer. I have several yaks or hybrids but have never fished the oceanside there

You will find as we discussed at Bill's Tackle this evening the migration of stripers seems to hold further from shore along DE than say NJ. The inlets seem to be the major magnets along the coast which draws the fish closer to shore.

as jim says, you don't want to get anywhere close to IRI in a kayak. and, actually, in general, it doesn't seem to me that DE is one of your better states for saltwater kayak fishing. Mostly it's just miles of open sandy beaches, with no major structure of any kind that I can think of -- except for IRI. What you might try, I suppose, is trolling the coastline with a tube-and-worm, maybe near the jetties in Rehoboth Beach, where I know there is one fish-worthy wreck just off the beach, at Queen Street. (Or at least there used to be when I lived there, 20 years ago ...)