Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yakaholic

Handheld GPS for my yak

11 posts in this topic

I have been considering a Garmin Handheld GPS for use on my yak. I am looking at the e-trex series and the model 76. They all look good. Does anyone use any of these units? I would like one for locating productive locations when heading out during times of low visibility.

Yakaholic

I have a newly acquired e-Trex "Legend" (not sure of the model # designation) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Unfortunately, I haven't had the yak on the water in a few weeks, so it hasn't seen service there yet, but while hiking and driving I've been amazed at the accuracy (esp. with selective availability back on) and user-friendliness. No complaints yet, other than the small display but that's a byproduct of the overall small size.

Chris

yakaholic my wife just recently bought me the Garmin 76. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but I know a few people that use this handheld unit on there boats and they really like it.

Yak,

I have a GPS III plus on my yak. It's downfall is screen size. The etreks are even smaller. It's fun to play with and good in an emergency, but not very useful due to screen size.

Since my Humminbird is headin for the trash can, I'm looking to buy a Garmin 168 or 185 Sounder/GPS. Get it all in one unit with a bigger(usable) screen.

Garmin are great,just dont buy the cheapest e-trex. The yellow one. Because you cant enter coordinates manualy. You have to have been there to mark it.

Barrell

yakaholic

I use a Garmin model 48 and love it. This is the marine handheld. It has a removable antenna which can be extended with a cable, great when out in my dads boat. Throw it on the dash, mount the antenna outside and forget it until I need to mark a spot.

It saved the day for Porter and I on the Susky Flats last spring on a very gray rainy day. Probably would have paddle in the wrong direction more than once trying to stay fairly close to our launch point.

Another nice feature is I can download my waypoints to my computer for saving them. Wish I could upload to the GPS, that will be the next one I get.

Barrell, you mmay not be able to do it right on the screen, but I think you can do it throught the computer hook up. Kind of plan a route or place route marks along the way. Will have to double check it. I used my etrex with success in the Keys when going into the mangrove swamps. Use it as a crumb trail to find my way out. Have the Blue Legend one for my Motorcycle, works great! Scott

Thanks to everyone for the great input...

I downloaded the Garmin 76 manual so I could see if it was hard to use and it looks easy. Does anyone use the units with the chart download feature or do the charts just not have enough detail?

Yakaholic

I use, an can recommend the Garmin 76 mariner from West MArine(exclusive). It has all the marine nav data already pre-programmed. This unit is far better than the E-Trex for the yak deck mount, as all the buttons are on the front and the bigger screen rocks! The font can be set as "Pig Sized" for ease of use and I usually re-set the trip log and then flip to the big font and a screen customized to display the time, the speed and the compass heading. I use the factory mount(which locks) and place it between the legs just forward on the tunnel and within reach. I have also used the jumper and updated the data within via the PC and the Garmin site and that is straightforward as well. Great unit. I used to use the E-Trex, but the side mounted buttons and smaller screen left something to be desired for a deck mounted reference instrument. The e-trex is a good one though, and great to use if in the palm of your hand and carried in the vest.