Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharp1

Nice 42# YT taken in SD CA by Kayk

9 posts in this topic

I have fished with this fellow and he desrves this fish! You don't get them in local CA waters like this very often.

BigYellow2.JPG

S1

Sharp1, I had to delete the link since there was commercial stuff on the site. I posted the pic.

Boy do I miss toads like that! What a terrific gamefish yellowtail are. It must have been something from the yak. That is a rare fish indeed in so. CA waters.

My biggest was right around that but it was caught in Baja out at a spot off of Angel de Laquardia. Mine came from 300' of water along a cliff. I'm the only one to land a fish from that spot as I was using 80# gear and the others were rocked with 50# gear.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-11-2002).]

cwm24.gifcwm24.gifcwm24.gif

Wow. I could only imagine getting pulled 3/4 of a mile by a lean, mean fish such as that. What a great catch! icon14.gif I am continually amazed by the variety fish that can be caught and landed from a kayak.

PS. Looking forward to getting into some Albies on the East End this fall with the kayak. Can you say SLEIGH RIDE? wink.gif

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

Sorry about the Commercial Link JohnS and TimS. Thanks for re-posting the image Jon. Yeah, I got a 25# YT in Baja last year and it wanted to pull my arms off. I can imagine that those YT over 40# would drag a yak a far piece. The best part of YellowTail fishing is that they are a fabulous food fish! One of my favorites from the Salt for sure.

Thanks,

S1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 04-11-2002).]

Sharpy, I hope you don't hang out with the idiot that punted that fish.

You're gonna ruin your image!biggrin.gif

What kind of callous f--k would do that to a living creature anyway?cwm23.gif

Great pics!!!!!!

DAS, That's why I re-kindled my kayak fishing a few years back-to avoid the cattle boat herd mentality out here in beautiful California. Not too long ago; well, last season, I was peacfully kayak fishing in the harbor and CPR'ing fish out of the resident Mackerel school on-the-fly.Greweat Sport! Then a big 80 foot cattle boat came inside and plowed its way into position at the floating bait receiver. Well of course me, as well as a few skiffs had to get the heck out of the way fast. The boat had no fares on-board, so the crew started fishing as they took-on a load of bait. One of the skiffs had a family and several young kids onboard. Well these imbecile deck hands proceeded to start a cussing very loudly and taking the Mackeral they caught and slammed them live onto thy deck of the receiver. They want Bonito by golly, and they punished these &$&^$%# Mackerel for getting on their lines by swearing at them and body slamming them; all at top volume for everyone to see. These are gamefish!! The Capt. hung out of the pilot house window and saw the whole scene and did nothing. I later wrote a letter to the owner of the landing and this boat through the webpage and told them I would never ever again be a fare on their boat Blah Blah Blah. I got an E mail response telling me that the crew had been repremended and that they don't condone that behavior.

Yeah right.Fishing the cattle boats here is like going to war. Watch your back and be prepared for hard core this and that. No wonder there is a surge in kayak fishing popularity. I just don't "Do" chrters here anymore, unless I myself am chartermaster and pick and choose who can go! I took 20 yaks to the outter Islands last Sept. on an 85 foot dive ship. That was a cool trip. The crew asked for kayaks and took off paddling and joined in the fun. What a difference.

So don't get me started DAS smile.gif

Thanks Sharpy!

I didn't think you were the type that traveled in those kinds of circles!

Few things get me as fired up as those that have a TOTAL disregard for other people and life's myriad beauties.

Every "altercation" I've had in the last few years was due to some S--t H--d pushing his weight around and intimidating others or doing something akin to the "punting" incident.

What kind of animals are these people anyway??!!!

I haven't been on a party boat(I like your term"cattle boat")for over 20yrs and will probably go to my grave having not been on one again!