Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken L

Bottomline Tournament 1200

11 posts in this topic

It hangs the height of the 'ducer, Approx 2". No, I will not be able to run it up on the beach and will have to be aware of my depth. I will have to get out in a foot or so of water. I have designed it so that I can "pull it out" of the scupper from below very easily. It is attached to a alum tube and bracket that passes through a watertight compression "fitting" in the scupper. The tube holding the 'ducer is approx 8" top to bottom of the "ducer. Cable runs truogh the tube. I have a little handle on the top of the tube that tells me the orientation of the 'ducer.

I am thinking about a rudder like setup for the bow. There wouldn't be much in net additional drag and if I make it easily detachable it could solve the additional problem of taking it off when I want to carry the yak. If I can design the mount such that the transducer will break away and hang loose if it hits something then all the better. If I really want to go crazy I could rotate it in place with a large model airplane servo.

So much for minimalism.

The control of the direction of the 'ducer was critical for me. If I could not aim it manually where I wished to "look" I would have gone for a Humminbird w/ the dual cone downshot. I know that I would drive myself nuts trying to "aim" the sidefinder by adjusting the kayaks position. It is still a narrow cone at 9 degrees and I would like to try "scanning" bridge abutments and such. I think it might be interesting to stand off and control the "beam" by just tilting the kayak up and down and looking from top to botton, not just side to side. Will find out on Monday and tell all.

Beagle, I ran mine on the Mokai with my home spun 360 deg rotation portable mount. At 15 mph it was like dragging a dead squirrel off the side of my craft. Back to the drawing board. Lower speeds worked great.

I may have to bite the bullet and permanent mount for best results at higher speeds.

Ken,

What is the diam of the tube that goes up on the 1200? I'm thinking I can use a thru hull fitting in my scupper hole and stick the 1200 thru that. Do you think it will work?

Thanks,

Ed