Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Wallkill River Rats...who's interested

51 posts in this topic

I'm in the earliest stage of putting together a kayak float trip for Monday the 1st of July. Will be fishing the Wallkill Creek in Ulster County, New York, a mere 10 minutes off the New York State Thruway exit 18. About 5ish miles of river. Supposedly full of Smallies and Carp. We'll meet, unload boats and drive all the cars to the take out point, leaving someone to guard the yaks, and all tool back to the put-in in my van. This could be a hoot and productive on fishing too. Let me know what you think and if you're interested. Will be an easy paddle and the river doesn't have anything above a class II to the best of my knowledge. I have extra yaks, and this would be a good newbie trip. Let me know what you think. SCott

? Thought you said weekday good? would saturday or sunday be better? I was doing this especially for you and any other locals. Let me know. S

ScottO-

I explained my schedule in horrific detail via PM just now. Weekdays are no good until after July 12th. Weekends not until July 4th.

I'm gonna put a whoopin' on them smallies once I get the chance...

OK, Joe's out, sorry dude, sounds painfully complicated and full. Anyone interested? Let me know. S

ScottO

I'm on vacation that week so I may be in.

I'll keep tabs on this thread as the the 1st

of July approaches. Fair warning: I am a newbie but don't think it will be a problem-

Ed

ScottO,

Sounds like a great idea! I'd like to try and make this one since its right across the river. Never did the yak thing, but all journeys start with one step right.

I'd even be interested in giving you a shout and popping over between now and then just to check out the vessel.

Let me know if that would be ok

JJ

JJ, sure, give a shout, I'll PM my number. Santiago II and I try to get out semi often. We could get out before then if possible. S

Largo Boy, welcome. Glad to see the interest. This is perfect newbie territory. Fresh water, good chance to catch something and a beautiful view of the Shawangunk Mountain range. Torrential thunderstorms/downpours would be the only prohibitive event. PM for details if needed. Anyone else?

To the best of my knowledge, this is a fairly wide, 50-100 yards? slow moving river. Meanders without rapids to the best of my knowledge. There will be some exploration in this adventure. I'm using my Swing, and I have a 9 foot frenzy someone of smaller stature could use, I also have a malibu II that hasn't been christened yet. This would be a two or one man boat. Santiago II will use his swing, and may have a boat or two to borrow as well. JonS what are you bringing? A tarpoin should be ok, I don't think there are any rapids or switchback areas. Water levels are good, so hopefully not tooo much walking. Going to scout some areas on the creek this weekend. S

Thanks ScottO, Lookin forward to it. JonS I do have a Tarpon-you all will have to make a judgement if it will be appropriate for this water. Scott, my yak is 16' long so let me know if the strech you plan to fish/paddle is wide enough for me.

Thanks, LB