Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teedubya

Plugs

11 posts in this topic

I picked up rubber stoppers at Ace Hardware in sizes #5 front and #6 rear(under seat) for my OK Prowler. I used stainless steel screw eyes instead of brass, but they were cheap(I think .28 each) and some innexpensive small diameter black cord that I had around. I made two sets for under $6.00

prowlerplugs.jpg

Ocean Kayak makes stoppers, but the set that I bought didn't last long at all.

A styrofoam pool "noodle" can be sliced into MANY scupper plugs!

After all that hassle, I decided I like mine open. Go fig.

I spent the better half of the day looking in hardware stores and Home Depot's for similar plugs, like the ones showm to no avail. I'll keep looking in the meantime I'll leave them open. (just something about the water in the yak that I don't like) but I'll get use to it sooner or later.

Again Thanks for the advice and the Photo.

Teedubya

I was up at my buddy's house/shop, and he showed me a great way to make plugs. Get a piece of pink dense foam 3" thick and he sharpend the edge of a piece of pipe(both inside/outer edge) and slowly twist and push the sharpend edge down into foam. The trick is finding the right diameter pipe. Good solution, but kind of permanent. I used a rubber mallet to force plugs into holes. If you want to remove, just use a wooden dowel, etc. in the reverse direction. It's a forced fit so it tight. We had all the materials on hand, so I'm not sure of the cost.

teedubya

Try the hardware store in Islip on MTK hwy. If they don't have them I know the hardware store in Bohemia on Vets hwy just west of Lakland ave has them. You have to go to the counter at the back of the store and ask for them.

By the way epoxy the screw eye's in so they don't pull out of the rubber if you plan on making a setup like Bonedaddy has.

Paul