Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
new yak

Anchor

9 posts in this topic

Being new to the game the standard anchor I got in thje "fishing package" with the yak

ain't holding in the sand with any current.

Any recommendations on an anchor small enough to stow that will hold when and where you want it to.

------------------

mmcginley8@comcast.net

What kind did you get in your package? I find a 3# grapnel to hold on everything. also get a drift sock as you'll use it a lot more than an anchor.

New Yak,

I also use a 3lb grapnel to hold, and it works fine. But I also admit that I use the drift sock much more than an anchor. Way easier to store, less clunky, and more versatile. Ya gotta get the sock.

I have a 3 pd grapnel stle and can say it sucks in the sand .Might work if ya use some chain.I dont use the chain cause its one more thing to lug around.I use the anchor mostly to yak wade .I drop the anchor on 6 ft of rope then tie a 25 ft piece to me .Just in case the anchor fails.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

You need a chain for the anchor to hold bottom. I agree with the above about getting a drift sock you will need it eventually. But so far this year my anchor has been used a lot. It held me in the strike zone for constant striper action where a drift sock would not have.

Just some advice on anchoring. If you're NEED to anchor in heavy current, stiff wind, or big swells, keep a knife handy and don't worry about loosing a $10 anchor. That's why i carry 2.

Hello All!

The best arrangement I've seen is as follows: a 5-lb mushroom anchor is connected to a 3/4 anchor line of about 60' in length, (or whatever amount you prefer).

There is a bracket with a roller at the top of the rearward end that is attached to the stern with stainless steel bolts, over which runs the anchor line.

In the cockpit you'll want a running line cleat to secure the line, and let it out when necessary. The total cost is about $40, at Boat US.

Also, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, HAVE AT LEAST ONE KNIFE HANDY. If you need to cut the line, it needs to be there, ready to rock. Your life could depend on it!

Tight lines!

Text

Hey T

sorry to here you missed the weakies. Maybe this Sat we will hit them. I'll bring the 10# danforth and you can see how that works!

------------------

May the Tides and the Winds be with you.