Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christian White

Anyone going to the Ditch Fling?

17 posts in this topic

Just curious if any fellow yakkers are headed for "The Ditch Fling" in MA next weekend. Thought I'd give it a shot since I'm jonesing for some consistent striper action. Anyone interested in carpooling from PA/MD area? I booked a campground for Friday and Saturday (7/19 and 7/20). I know it's an "F" word, but it's time I fished New England and this makes a good excuse.

Christian,

I may be interested in going. I need to check on some things to make sure I'm free that weekend, so I'll need a day or two to finalize. But I am definatly interested. Would you be planning on takeing the yaks? I'm not firmiliar with the area, but thought this was strictly a shore bound thing?

If yiou take yaks don't use them in the ditch, however Cape Cod is right there and there's lots of places to take yaks. Personally I'd skip the ditch and go yak fishing.

Dick, if you want to go, I'm probably going to leave Thursday night, but am flexible on that. I have a campsite booked for Friday and Saturday nights; I know there are some other SOLers there too. I'm primarily interested in taking the flyrods; I don't think I have the gear to jig the Ditch. Guys are talking about 3-5 ounce jigs; my bigges stick is a 7.5 footer rated to 2.5 ounces with an ABU6500. Sounds like it might be light, I'm not sure. Kayaks on the flats surrounding the Cape is appealing too. Fish don't have to be huge if they can be taken on fly or light tackle. JonS, any suggestions? Can I catch decent fish on fly from the yak up there?

As soon as I posted I was interested I went to the Ditch Fling registration page and read about the type of equipment needed to fish the ditch and I don't have anything that big either. But yakin the cape sounds good to me! I think I can get off on Friday if you want to leave Thur. night. If you only plan on fishing the Ditch, then I probably won't go. But if you do wanna hit the cape in yaks, I'm game.

Lots of fish available on the fly rod. I've only been there once so I'm certainly not the best person to ask. Saltyh2ofly would be a good guy to ask. The fly rod is a better tool for the flats too as the fish wanted small sandeels. If you're using spin gear Dick, the best lure was Lunker city's new heads with the small shaker tails in ice. You have so many choices on where to go. The Brewster flats is where I'm going to hit next. I didn't fish the inside at all. I got fish in the 30" range on the fly rod in the ocean.

Dick, if you wanna go, I'd be willing to fish wherever we have the right gear. I don't have any of that real heavy gear either, I just wanted a good excuse to go to MA. I booked a campsite that is allowed to have up to 4 people, so I'm going regardless. I hear it's not too hard to get into good schoolie action up there outside the ditch, with some 30"+ fish in there. That's good enough for me. I'd rather catch smaller fish from the yak on light tackle than one or two big ones on stout gear/heavy terminal tackle. I'll bring lots of spinning and fly gear along.

Check the flats behind the light house in Chatham. Their are usually tons of fish there but catching them can be the hard part. You are often much better catching the ones you can't see. Fish the weed patches and fish 5 inch sluggos retrieved really fast for spin gear. Also alternate different sizes of white decievers.

That weekend looks clear for me, Lets do it. smile.gif I posted a gear ? on the Mass. forum and they said our tackle should be fine for some areas. Plus if we're taking the yaks I'd rather do that anyway. Well, maybe a cast or 2 into the ditch. smile.gif I do have 2 11' surf rods that are rated up to 4 oz. that I can bring along if we want to try the ditch. They may be a little long, but they'll do.

I'll shoot you an email about specifics Christian.

Christian, use small sand eel patterns and yes the water is very clear. Also I'd try some night fishing too. We didn't do any in June as the daylights great, but I hear that in the summer dark is much better.