Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mullet Miller

NYC launch sites

11 posts in this topic

Who can give me a couple suggestions for a good launch site in Manhattan. The girlfriend wants to circumnavigate Mahattan Island this fall. Appreciate any help in advance.

Bob

Launch for Liberty State Park in NJ. You will be right by Miss Liberty and the end of NYC. You should study the currents and tides as this is no place to just paddle around. I fished here many a time in a boat and know that you must pay close attention to the current (this is different than the tide movement). Swimmers that swim around the island plan their trip and so should you. Getting to the NY waterfront is almost impossible, there are no beaches or launch ramps though you could try the 72 Street Marina and the other one at the end of the island. Both are on the Hudson River..good luck and make someone aware of your plans.

I,m planning to circumnavigate the city this weekend. You need to time things perfectly or you will end up being sucked out into Long Island Sound. There is a web site DEWAWARE & HUDSON CANOE AND KAYAK CLUB that tells you exactly how to do it with the tides and everything. The site also has pictures and reports of other people who have done the trip. You may not want to wait to the fall since there may not be enough daylight then. Also be aware of resticted security zones since 9/11 (zones are listed on we site). I will report on how I did. tomh

MM,

Like Jon said, check the Manhattan Kayak club. I seem to recall Chelsea Piers doing something kayak related, give them a call. I know you know what you're doing on a yak, but you really need to speak to someone that understands the currents around Manhattan. I've been in boats that get freaky in those currents. Be careful. Hope you're well.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've been looking at a few sites online for some spots without much luck. I do plan on researching this quite a bit before I attempt it. Was in the city this past weekend and took a ride to Hellgate, Wow! that is some current!

Bob

Tons of bass go thru Hell's Gate but the rocks there are the size of small buildings. There is NO safe way to paddle this area! The currents here are very tricky and even in a power boat we have had our share of troubles. Just down river the UN faces the river and once again tons of just off the little island and the tip of RI. There are also big bluefish and the bait there ranges from spearing to squid to butterfish and even the seal love this little place. Once again a dangerous place.

As yakman said, try the downtown boathouse. www.downtownboathouse.org.

Here's a faq from their site

Q. I have my own boat, can I launch it at the boathouse?

A. In general, yes. We allow our facilities to be used by the general public to launch boats, but we have a few rules. We do not allow any motorized boats of any sort. We require that you first sign our liability waiver. We require that all people launching from our facilities wear a Personal Flotation Device (Life Jacket). We require that the boat be seaworthy, and suitable for the strong currents and winds of the Hudson; we generally don't allow canoes, or cheap inflatable rafts since the wind and currents are too strong for them. We encourage you to obtain a permit from the NYC Parks Department to show your support for hand powered boating, but the permit is not required by the Boathouse.

Randy Hendrikson (212) 924-1327, the owner of New York Kayak Co is located on pier 41 at houston st. I think he launches from there. Drop by his store, he has a very good selection of yak gear and has been a stalwart of the NYC yak community.