Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
olmanc

Yak Dolly

7 posts in this topic

OK..aside from Dolly Parton; what is the best dolly to haul your yak from Granma's house ,across the beach ,and into the surf...with all the gear that your going to cram ? Did you buy or build? Does it fold flat? Do the wheels drag in the sand( yak weight+load)? Is it salt free? Less than $100? Can you tell your wife that it's part of the lawn mower?

My dolly was made specifically for my yak and fits over its mini transom. Works great on hard or soft conditions. It is a single section of tubular steel with a wheel mounted on each end. Lies flat so there is no need for it to fold.

I've made 2 different ones so far for my yak.

One is very lite with plastic hubs and axle and I designed it for when I don't want to or the distance is too great to trudge back to the truck. It seems to work fine, its light and cost app. $12 in parts if even.

The second is heavier duty with nuematic hand truck wheels. It weighs a lot more.

Both caddies use vertical shafts which go through the rear drain holes of my yak. Because its an SOT I don't need straps, etc. Its a very simple design.

I may be building a third caddy which would have a much wider stance. I would be using 20" bicycle wheels and they would be extended out by the width to both lower the center of gravity and improve the stability. This caddy would be used for hiking into lakes, etc. where distance is involved.

All my caddies use a PVC framework.

If you build a caddy the best/cheapest source for wheels seems to be Harbor Freight. Dubs suggested them and they've got a good selection and prices. Home Depot has the plastic wheels and at $3.99 each they're cheap.

If anyone knows of or finds a source for wide plastic wheels say 4-5" wide by 10" or more high I'd appreciate the info.

Some enterprising fellow has taken his kid's Big Wheel and chopped the thing down to carry his yak. He's posted a picture, as well. Pretty neat, I say.

[ 12-16-2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: TimS ]

Saving $$$$ on gear is no joke,but if you want the best cart out there,with pnuematic tires go to www.deluge.com , they have the a large amount of kayak gear including the cadilac of yak carts.The straps are a must,and the seat addition is not a bad idea.Scott

Cheaspeake Light Craft. It shows cart plans listed under ...Shop Tips-Fitting Out. I think Grangers has the wheels for around $3.

[ 12-16-2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: TimS ]