Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rowdy

besides tube and worm

14 posts in this topic

what else do yall troll i was thinking storm wild eyes look pretty good but what else do you use and as for tube and worm would i be better off makeing my own looks pretty simple

thanks in advance

------------------

Why do they call it tourist season if i cant shoot em?

Try a search here, there have been a couple threads. I troll swimmers like Mambos and Bombers, plastics, shad raps, even needlefish. Wildeyes work. You can make tubes but you'll have to look around to find the right materials and do some experimenting to see what works.

Nothing cwm13.gif

Or should I say once you become a tube believer you wont troll much else.

Mambos and Big Rubba Shads.The latter trolled with trolling weights in deeper holes.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

All fisherman are liars except for me and you.But I am not so sure about you

the tube part of the t n w is a no-hassle proposition; it's the damn worm part that keeps me from being more of a tube&worm junky. seems to me the wee critters are pretty fragile and don't last a long time. plus, you've got to procure them, and deal with the wife freaking out when their container is mistaken for Chinese food. thing is, you can't be spontaneous with the tube; you've got to plan ahead; and i'm not very good at that. i just wish somebody would invent a soft-plastic substitute or some such that works at 75% of the real thing. i for one would use it.

GUYS, COULD YOU PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR DETAILS ON WHAT THESE TUBES ARE? I UNDERSTAND THERE IS A LEADER (HOW LONG?) WITH A HOOK (TYPE, SIZE?) AT THE END (ANY IN THE MIDDLE?). THE LEADER IS COVERED WITH SURGICAL TUBE DIAMETER? COLOR?). OTHER THAN THE "KAYAK THINGS" PLACE, IS THERE ANY OTHER SOURCE?

I SEE THAT ON CATALOGS LIKE CABELA'S THERE ARE TUBE LURES SOLD AS "BARRACUDA SURGE LURE" , ARE THEY SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU GUYS REFER TO?

DO THEY NEED TO BE USED WITH A FIN TO AVOID TANGLES? SOURCE FOR THE FIN OTHER THAN THE OTHER KAYAK PLACE? CAN IT BE BUILT?

SORRY FOR THE MULTIPLE QUESTIONS AND THANKS FOR THE HELP. I TROLL FROM A KAYAK PRIMARILY IN THE CREEKS AND LAGOONS IN TUCKERTON, WITH SMALL SPOONS IT IS FUN TO CATCH SMALL SNAPPER BLUES, BUT OTHER THAN THAT I NEVER CAUGHT ANYTHING ELSE WHILE TROLLING. GOT HITS A FEW TIMES FROM SMALL STRIPERS, BUT NO HOOKUPS.

DMALA

It's easier to post a photo than describe, this is just one commercial variation. I don't know where you live but tackle shops in CT carry them. Search for Santini tubre or tube and worm on www.google.com and you will find an online source. good luck, Dave

tubeworm.jpg

the tube part of the t n w is a no-hassle proposition; it's the damn worm part that keeps me from being more of a tube&worm junky. seems to me the wee critters are pretty fragile and don't last a long time. plus, you've got to procure them, and deal with the wife freaking out when their container is mistaken for Chinese food. thing is, you can't be spontaneous with the tube; you've got to plan ahead; and i'm not very good at that. i just wish somebody would invent a soft-plastic substitute or some such that works at 75% of the real thing. i for one would use it.

FYI, I have used the Berkeley Power Sand Worm with some success on the tube. They look like the real thing, and smell worse.

PJ Any small piece of sand worm works.However I have caught my biggest fish on a big sand worms.I have heard some guys using night crawlers also.Give it a try .I just not have had much luck using anything but the real thing.I even soaked power worms in bunker oil for a week and those didnt seem to work all that well.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

All fisherman are liars except for me and you.But I am not so sure about you

DMala

There's a little book called "To Catch a Bass" by Tim Coleman you might be able to find at your local tackle shop, library or on line. It gives pretty detailed info on how to make tubes and you can get a free catalog from Terminal Tackle Co. (631) 269-6005 for supplies.

I've made half a dozen or so and they're easy to make. I haven't used them much because of line twist but JoeV explained in other posts that the twist can pretty much be eliminated by using a plastic keel. From other posts I've read, dark red seems to be the best color.

I've made some keels out of plexiglass and I'm excited about using them this season. I might have to make some minor adjustments to the shape or size of the keels and then again, maybe they'll work fine the way they are. Either way they're easy and inexpensive to make. Total cost for tube with keel: $2-$3 plus you get the satisfacion of catching a ton of fish on something you made yourself!!

[This message has been edited by bespeck (edited 03-29-2003).]

Just got a catalog in the mail from J&B Tackle Co. (866) 944-4447(toll free) and they sell standard tubes with single and double hooks plus Santini tubes. Good fishin'.

[This message has been edited by bespeck (edited 04-06-2003).]