Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
don.spencer

thinking about kayaking

6 posts in this topic

I'm not going to be ready to try this year, but in the spring, I'd like to try kayaking/fishing. I'm in Brick, New Jersey, I'd likely stick to the back bays behind Island Beach State Park.

I'm quite interested in the Hobie Mirage Outback Fisherman kayak. This may sound silly, but can you make it back up?

Can you get out through the surf off the beach with it? I have an older open cockpit kayak that I had in the surf once, it was not a pleasant experience, I got swamped with it.

Is there a place around to rent one, try it out?

Don, I dont know what you mean by get back up. If you meen get back on if you fall of I have never fell off the outback as at 35 inches wide that is almost impossible. But getting back on shouldnt be a problem.

It is easy to get out in waves. The trick is to get back in and do it in one piece with all your possesions. Start in the bay and pick your days to venture into the ocean. I have e-mailed you about demos on the outback.

Barrell

Don, Demo that mirage first....

It has an 18" draft and may not be ideal for the sedges behind IBSP. That area has lots of tight shallow areas.

Terry

Terry, I dont know where you got the 18 inch number from. I wheigh 200lbs and draw 14 inches using the foot propulsion and only 3 or 4 inches when using the paddle with mirage drive folded up. You can fold the mirage drive up instantly by pushing one peddle down and holding it. When beaching ina rocky shorline I lean forward and remove the entire unit from the boat andset it down on the deck. This only takes me about 5 seconds to do without moving out of the seat.

Barrell

Barrell,

Those specs came from Hobie...

Length:12’ 6”

Width: 2’ 6”

Draft: Sails up 6”/Sails down 18”

Weight:55lbs.without HydroSail(Hydro-Sail 8 lbs.)

P.S. In no way am I knocking the Mirage, just passing on some info for those that may be interested in specs. Have fun, good fishing... icon14.gif

Terry

[ 11-12-2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Terry Mac ]