Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barrell

CAPT MIKE GIVES ME A WHIPPEN...

14 posts in this topic

I went out with capt mike for the first trip of the year saturday night. Mike had 11 bass in the 30 inch range. I caught one short...

Coast guard came by at 2am and told us we can no longer fish under bridges due to code orange terrosist threat.

Barrell

The terrorist threat posed by kayakers is significant. After all a FnD is an aircraft carrier and provides the perfect delivery system for a missle. Some stuff is just ridiculus and I see us loosing a bunch of fishing spots in the name of security.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

The terrorist threat posed by kayakers is significant. After all a FnD is an aircraft carrier and provides the perfect delivery system for a missle. Some stuff is just ridiculus and I see us loosing a bunch of fishing spots in the name of security.

Now Jon, are you really gonna piss and moan that we lose access in the name of national security? it might seem ridiculous at times, but there is some logic behingd the gov't actions on the security front that we might not like or understand, but there are certain times that you must give them the benifit of the doubt. It's only fishing.

I understand the advantage of fishing by/under bridges, and i also think it may be a bit over the top to consider yakkers a security risk wink.gif , but i dont understand what the big deal is if you cant fish near one if your a yak fisherman? cant ya just paddle to another spot? i mean there are other places that fish like to frequent in bays that aren't concrete abuttments.

I rarely fish bridges but I remember in the name or security that they closed the Hook after 9/11. I also have been told that Jamaica Bay is closed from the RR bridge east. A Res. that was to finally open near me isn't going to as the local police are using national security as an issue too. I understand that the NY Res. are also in this class. Its not just one place or a few. Its growing.

The world we live in isn't going to change. So when is the security risk going to lessen? How many more places are going to become off limits?

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

How much will closing these areas really reduce the probability of a terorist action? Why not just prohibit any boat from passing under any bridge? And do you really believe nixing all fishing at a resevoir will stop a determined terrorist? Makes me wonder who is winning this war on terrorism.

Brianz, the fish are cocentrated at night in the shadow line. Noses poking into the light on the upcurrent side, bodies hidden in the dark. Lined up like civil war soldiers waitng for the Bait to get swept threw the bridge in the accelerating currents and swirls caused by the structure. You must be setup within casting distance of the shadow line or you waist your time.

Barrell

I don't want to discuss politics, but let's face reality. If terrorists really want to blow up a bridge they're going to do so and it isn't going to be someone in a kayak sitting there for hours fishing. So let's get real. Same with other places.

The experts claim that in a free society that its impossible to prevent a determined person or persons from doing many things. The Authorities tell us that they just don't have the man power to be everywhere. If you have people fishing these places then you greatly increased your manpower by having observers. This is a much bigger deterent as there are people to witness anything out of the ordinary and can report so. Using a bridge as an example. Someone attaching explosives to a bridge isn't going to be seen if there isn't anyone there to see it. Frankly it would be very easy to do so undetected. The Coast Guard can't be everywhere. Fishermen with radios sitting there and fishing the bridge is far more security then presently exists.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-10-2003).]

JonS, you brought up a very good point. Once the CG determined they were legitimate fisherman they would have been better off having them there. It could act as a deterent having people around. However, barrell is a shady looking character. wink.gif

------------------

yueng.gifbrave.gifusflag.jpg

Brianz, the fish are cocentrated at night in the shadow line. Noses poking into the light on the upcurrent side, bodies hidden in the dark. Lined up like civil war soldiers waitng for the Bait to get swept threw the bridge in the accelerating currents and swirls caused by the structure. You must be setup within casting distance of the shadow line or you waist your time.

Barrell

im pretty clear on relationships of bass/trout to shadow lines barrel, the point i was trying to make is that there are other places in backwaters that have fishlined up that arent dependent on bridges shadow lines or even downcurrent seams, and that in a yak you have the luxury to explore.