Deadwood

Raritan river stripers

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2019 at 11:40 AM, cheech said:

I remember the ‘mothball fleet’ of warships up around Stoney pt., and I’m still kayak fishing stripers around Crawbuckie beach on the Hudson, and on the Croton river for big channel cats. Great swimming on the Croton river too. It’s actually gotten much better the last couple of years, and the newish 18”-28” striper slot should improve it even more.

How is kayak fishing on the Hudson? I live in Rockland county and was looking for alternatives to trekking down to NJ or out to LI.

Thanks!

On 11/18/2019 at 2:07 PM, kenzozozo said:

>>Welcome aboard...what made you want to get into saltwater fishing? Because you dug up this old thread,

>>I'm guessing you live somewhere close to the Raritan river and got curious about catching stripers in the river. That's how it started for me. 

I started Salt water because some one invited me out for Snapper/Scup fishing and I enjoyed it so much.   I'm in Rockland county, actually. I found this thread trying to understand the migration pattern and where I can fish for Stripers.   It's so much to learn.  

I went to sandy hook few times about a month ago and for now I'm ending up a the Piermont pier since that's pretty close by.  I caught a 15 " striper there so far.   But, I still don't feel like I know what I am doing.   For example, can I use plugs / lures at Peirmont ? 

I'm buying some equipment to get ready for the spring run and surf fishing at the beach next year. A bit frustraged because I have so much fresh water stuff that is just not applicable at all to salt water.   I'm reading up on lots of stuff here. So, you may see me ask some questions on this forum here and there.  

Cheers.  

I'm from Rockland as well and this is my first season of actively fishing salt. Let me know if you want to go exploring the Hudson some time. I have some ideas but it's just based on fishing apps.

1 hour ago, RogerM said:
1 hour ago, RogerM said:

How is kayak fishing on the Hudson? I live in Rockland county and was looking for alternatives to trekking down to NJ or out to LI.

Thanks!

It can be mind boggling feast or famine. There are several recent posts on SOL concerning this very subject!