I don't want anything you have to

mount to the yak, and prefer not

to have to lug a 12 volt battery

on board....Was thinking of the

Smart Cast (with the wrist band

screen), but don't know how practical/

comfortable/reliable this model is..

Any suggestions? Thanks---Mike

I know that Humminbird also uses the wireless transducer with one of their pyranah line. I have no experience with them, so I can't vouch for them.

When you say you don't want to have to tote a 12 volt battery around, are you aware that there are small 7amp/hr and 10 amp/hr batteries that will power most FF for days on end without recharging? They are roughly about 4"x7"x2". They take up very little space and weigh less than 5lbs.

Once you get one you will wonder how you ever got by without one. You definatley want to go hard wire, the wireless are junk imo. The battery is no big deal at all, I use a hobby battery its about 3 lbs and powers the unit for about 4 or 5 trips. just put it in a small tupperware container with some foam inside cut out to fit the shape of the battery. water tight and cheap.

OK--

What type of hobby battery are you using??? I'll go for the battery, but prefer NOT to have to mount a transducer or monitor to the actual yak.....More suggestions??? And btw, why are the wireless transducers no good ? I know they only have a life of 400 hours or so....thanks---Mike

1_12072_thumb.jpg

Mike, here is a small 12volt, 7amp/hr battery. They can be purchased at most electrical supply houses, some battery distributors like Interstate, and I'm guessing from Sax' post hobbie shops. They are usually very inexpensive, last for a couple years as long as they are maintained and easy to stow.

If you don't want to mount a transducer inside your yak so it fires thrugh the hull, you can always get a suction cup mount. Once you get the boat in the drink, slap it underneath and go fish. The only drawback is it can get knocked loose by debris or running agound.

There is another alternative to the 7ah 12v "hobby" batteries folks are using. You should be able to get a sealed 4ah 12v "scooter" battery from any motorcycle dealership. Yuasa is probably the best brand, but "off brand" ones can be had for < $20. This battery measures

Length: 3.54"

Width: 2.76"

Height: 4.00"

Just another alternative to check out.

I use a 12volt 5 amp battery, it's even smaller/lighter than the 7amp battery and will do the job. I use to have a portable FF that took 8AA batteries and I thought it was pain to deal with all the batteries. Much easier to charge just one battery every other trip. You can get the 5amp battery and charger from the (commercial site deleted)website for $40. Also, someone mounted the FF display on a tupperware box and put the battery in the box and just bungeed the box to the deck.

If you don't want to permantly mount the transducer to inside of your hull, you can at least mount a piece of foam with a hole cut out for the transducer. Fill up the hole in the foam with vaseline insert transducer and put a piece of duct tape over transducer and you are set.

[ 02-07-2006, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

I believe the hobby battery is 5amp its almost half the size of the 7. I guess they use them in bigger remote cars and such. I only charge it once a week. I know some guys that tried the wirless route and had nothing but problems and ended up hard wire anyway. Why are you against mounting the unit and transducer, for me it is the only way to go. I have mine on a ram mount and love it.

the smart cast is pretty much a toy and doesn;t give a lot of good information. Also some fish might think it;s bait smile.gif You can, with some work, make a unit completley independent of the yak, pop in pop out, maybe in and out of the cup holder although a RAM mount is much easier and better for viewig etc. There are some great web site with lot;s of goo dinformation. google kayak fishig and go to some of the first sites and look around. Scott

I find my Sonar to be a huge asset. I didn't call it a fishfinder because I use it to "see" the structure more than trying to just see fish. I have been mapping my underwater terrain and have a better understanding of how the water flows where I fish. That allows me to target a particular stretch of coast depending on tide & wind knowing where the underwater ridges, drop offs & holes are. IMHO a full sized "waterproof" display with depth & contour is a huge advantage when targeting larger fish.

I have 2 Caballa batteries. One always fully charged.

The smartcast display is just to small & as others have said if you attach a treble to the casted transducer I'm sure a blue will hit it.

sweetheart