Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raregroove

Looking for Yak Fishing buds in Queens area

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I finally got my yak, a folding yak, since I need something I can throw in a cab or car service (don't have a car). I'm looking for anyone interested in fishing Flushing Bay, Little Neck Bay, College Point areas since I live in Jackson Heights. If you're out there let me know. Thanks.

You might want to check out the topic Weeekend Plans. They might be fishing Manhasset Bay for those big slammer bluefish that have been there for weeks. Get in touch with them.

RareGrv,

Welcome and congratulations on the yak!!

I live in Douglaston and hit Glen Cove/ Manhasset/Lttle Neck Bay areas...so far.

I'm pretty new to this also.

Haven't met any others from this site yet.

As previously mentioned,check out "Weekend Plans" posted by Joeyv.

Tha tshould give you an idea of whats happening locally.

DASBOOT icon20.gif

Thanks guys,

I'll start checking the weekend events posted or post something specific and see if anyone's interested. Dasboot, hope we can meet up. I have to get my cold water wear together this week .

I've been catching a lot of blues around Throgs Neck bridge from shore and am looking forward to fishing it from the yak. There's a little beach you can launch from just to the right of the queens side of the bridge. I'm hoping to hook into a few stripers in the deeper water.

good luck hookin em.

RareGrv, I was a bad boy on Sat. night, so I did not get to Manorhaven as I haD PLANNED!

As for Whitestone, thats a bit of a haul to carry the yak and gear, isn't it?

My next time out might be next Sat. or the following Tues.

I'll probably go to either Prybil Bch in Glen Cove or Manorhaven Park in Port Washington.

Let me know if you're interested in coming along.

Later...........Mike biggrin.gif

Dasboot,

I'd be interested in Tues Port Washington if you decide to go, I'll let you know definitely later this week. I take care of my son on Saturdays, so it's difficult to take that day off. I may fish Flushing Bay or College Point near Talman pier this Sunday afternoon, let me know if you're interested.

regards,

raregroove

RG,

How do you do in Flushing bay and where do you put in.

Never fished CP either.

I'll be out of town Sun & Mon.

I have off Tues so thats a good bet.

Have'nt checked the tide yet.

Stay in touch.

DASBOOT biggrin.gif

Hey guys,

I live in Port Washington and my in-law is in Jackson Heights and I travel there often. I don't have a kayak yet, cause I can't swim that well :-( but I have always wanted to go for a Nantucket Sleigh Ride!!! Maybe I'll get one next year with outriggers to help out with the stability issue. Good fishing to you guys.

Das,

The launch area is not far from the Worlds Fair Marina ( directly behind Shay Stadium), all the way to the far right towards Flushing. There's a public boat ramp there. I spoke to a park's person who said it's OK to launch from there. On the other end of the bay , towards La Guardia, in the corner, there's also a shallow marshy area you could launch on or land if you have waders , not deep but a little messy. At the end of the summer I have seen tons of spearing near these marshes leading me to believe there has to be something feeding off them. I haven't fished this part of the bay from shore, but I have fished the areas near the marina and ramps for blues with decent results. The lot allows you to park right next to the ramp so access is pretty good. For me it's promising because it's only a $7 car service fare each way from my house. There's also a public restroom at the Mobil gas station on one side of the bay.

The college point area is interesting also.

It's between the College point yacht club and Tilman Pier. Next to the wooden walkway going out to the pier there's a little shallow area that looks ok for launching. This gives you access to the pier pilings , the cove on the other side of Tilman and across the cove - the Whitestone Bridge.

I'll check in with your plans later this week. Anyone else interested please post. I'm pretty much a rookie but motivated.

mrsinbad looking forward to your making the plunge. There's a number of outriggers to make for a more stable platform if you decide to go that way.

regards,

raregroove