Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chuck A

New kayaker

4 posts in this topic

Just picked up fish-n-dive on Sunday. It's sitting in my garage all fitted out and ready to fish. What should I be looking for in a quality PFD. Also, I will be carrying the f-n-d on the racks of my explorer. Any advice on how to load and secure. I am wondering if I need new racks and perhaps a roller. I only loaded once and it's a handful. Thank you.

The Lotus vests are very comfortable an they are made for kaysking because they dont have any foam under neath the arms. They cost around $90 and up. I put my Cobra Explorer on surf board racks and tie it down with cinch straps thru the scupper holes. :-}

Chuck,

I wear a full PFD, but I'm going to get an inflatable one (manual). Granted, it doesn't help you if you are knocked unconsious, but a regular PFD is uncomfortable against a seat. The foam on the back pushes you from the seat. If you can try one on in your yak, you can see for yourself.

As for loading, I know what it's like to put a FnD on a full sized SUV (Yukon). I have Thule racks with the H20 slides in the rear and the craddles in the front. I've gotten the loading down to a science and it's not bad. I close a rubber pad in my back door and let it lay on the rear glass. I then lay the yak with the rear about 5' from my back bumper and the front angled and sticking out of the side. I lift the front and stand it on the stern and lean it against the back of the truck alsmost vertical. I usually do this on grass or the stern will slide out. If you have to do it on pavement, I put another rubber pad under the stern to prevent the slide. Now you can pick up the stern and pivot the yak on the rear corner of the roof until it hits the slides, then just slide it foward.

Good luck and enjoy,

Phil