Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Fishfinders -- Garmin, Eagle, Vexilar

11 posts in this topic

I've come over the the Dark Side.... Bought John's FnD and I'd like to trick it out. I figure by the time I get the fishfinder, handheld marine radio, trolling motor, compass, arial flares, pfd, aurora light, drybags, drytop, strobe, drift sock, anchor and line, air horn, whistle, various straps and lunch I'm probably spending almost as much on accessories as the yak itself!!

I figured I'd go for the fishfinder first... I've been reading up on portable fishfinders and was wondering how many of you use the Garmin battery pack with the 100 or 160, how many use the Vexilar and how many use the Eagle...

Any preferences?

Thanks!!

Mike Y

I have the Vexilar LC-10 and I love it. Very compact, simple to use and I like that it runs on AA batteries. I got ni mH rechargeables and its a great setup.

The Eagles and the Pirahnas, work great too. I'm sure that the Garmin does also. The Vexilar is by far the smallest and most compact. They just came out with a color unit too cwm24.gif

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

Hmmm.... a color unit this spring? Maybe I should wait. Then I could get that one, oe maybe buy your old one, eh JonS?

JohnM, I'm looking at the maiden voyage this weekend... Need to get a dry top and a pfd before hitting the water.....

[This message has been edited by Mike Y (edited 10-04-2002).]

Vexilars new CLC-200 color unit will be available in the spring. Its going t retail for $370. Its going to be the unit I know that I'll want.

Has anyone seen this unit reviewed anywhere? Have any other new and interesting units shown up this year?? I'm still shopping!!

Mike

Yeah I'm still debating on the fishfinder piece of the puzzle. I was leaning towards the Bottomline 1200, but I'm just not sure that the additional hassle of mounting the sidescan transducer is worth the effort.

Does having a color unit make that much difference? I'd rather not spend a fortune unless it actually yielded a big increase in useful Kayak functionality. I guess the main things to look out for in a unit are 100% waterproof, decent battery life, easy Kayak mounting, easy to read screen with good detail, and good shallow to medium depth detail resolution.

I'm still confused?

I feel the same as you Orb...........

I would like it simple and affordable.

Been leaning toward the Pirhana 4

Do I hear yeahs...............or nays?

Spring is coming quick and I am ready to purchase one smile.gif

The pirhana and the bottomline 1200 are going to draw about 175 milliamps. A ten pack of NiCads or NiMH batteries will give you the 12 volts you need. The 1200 mah size should give you over 6 hours of continuous use. The sidefinder mount is a bit of a hassle but with so much of my fishing in relatively shallow water I still think it will prove worthwhile. Mounting a bottom only reading transducer is not difficult at all by comparison. They all have LCD displays and can be washed out by glare from the sun. They can also be difficult to read with poloroid glasses at times but you have to live with that.